Basset Hounds Forum banner

Jake's walks

3K views 10 replies 8 participants last post by  xtineebee 
#1 ·
Are definitely improving!!! I switched his lead to a shoulder harness (for me) that keeps him on a short lead and right at my side. It makes it easier for me to control his behavior. I've continued walking Sami with us but now have her on her own longer lead. He made it all through the neighborhood with nary a bark... he whined once or twice when another dog challenged him but didn't even try to lunge and bark at them.

Now- the next hurdle is to stop the howling before the walks... I go for my walking shoes and all 4 dogs sit in front of me arooing! They can be very loud!!!

#2 ·
That's great about the harness.

And that's adorable about all 4 arooooing before a walk.

Eleanor is now 4 months old, and one of the things she has learned is what a "walk" is. She suprised us the other day, I asked her momma if she felt like going for a walk, and as soon as I said it (not even speaking to her!) Eleanor dropped her toy, looked at me, and sprinted towards the door! Today she did the same thing when I asked her, "Eleanor, do you want to go for a walk?"

Eleanor loves walks.

#5 ·
"Now- the next hurdle is to stop the howling before the walks... I go for my walking shoes and all 4 dogs sit in front of me arooing! They can be very loud!!!"

Change up the cues. Don't put your walking shoes on before taking them out. Better yet put them on to mop the floor in the kitchen. If you do not have a reliable/consistent cue that they can latch onto as a signal for a walk then the behavior is likely to end.

#6 ·
"Now- the next hurdle is to stop the howling before the walks... I go for my walking shoes and all 4 dogs sit in front of me arooing! They can be very loud!!!"

Change up the cues. Don't put your walking shoes on before taking them out. Better yet put them on to mop the floor in the kitchen. If you do not have a reliable/consistent cue that they can latch onto as a signal for a walk then the behavior is likely to end.

G
#7 ·
I can't even changemy shoes without hearing Belly flying down the hall to see just exactly which ones I am putting on. In our house, if we change to walking or tennis shoes, we have to hide! Especially if we're not planning to take him for a walk!

#8 ·
It's no use trying to fool them. They can see right through you. I go in and out all the time, wearing the same coat and scarf and gloves. The leash is in a drawer by the back door. Yesterday when I decided it was time for our "pre-am" (the word we're currently reduced to because he knows all the others we can think of) I did NOT say "wanna go for a walk?" or "are you ready to go?" or ANYTHING and was simply putting on my coat as I'd done three times already that day to go outside for other things. But somehow he knew THIS time we were going for a walk and he went absolutely bonkers on me. By the time I actually retrieved the leash from the drawer he was at it full throttle, twirling around and whining and barking and bouncing up and down.

#9 ·
Mine don't go on walks very often, but when I get the leashes out of the drawer, look out! They jump up and down and hit the back door.
As far as the harness, I haven't tried one yet, I'm afraid to. The way my two pull me down the street, if they wouldn't choke with a collar, I wouldn't be able to stop them.

G
#10 ·
All I have to do is change my clothes, into my workout clothes and they are sure we are going for a walk (even if I am going to the gym). They go NUTS. Our Lab is more crazy about walks than Molly is but they both in general know all the cues.

#11 ·
Sebastien seems to consider it a criminal offence if I do not take him on a walk IMMEDIATEDLY upon returning to the house - and even worse, if I leave without him. He has now started the game of *always* being in front of me in the mornings as I prepare for work, as he has decided if he is always ahead, I can't possibly leave without him. He even eschews breakfast, giving me the look that clearly says "I will not be fooled by that - I am not giving up my post!". And if I go to the garage for something so mundane as the laundry, there is a great mourning in his air.
But I have found that the best lead for him is the retractable kind - he is generally very well behaved on walks, will heel/stop at streets/ but does like a little extra romping room when we reach the seaside.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.