Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, haven't posted in a while but still drop in daily to read what everyone's doing.

Sad news...my baby Jake went to the Bridge this morning. He'd been suffering with the effects of Acute Lymphocytic Leukaemia. Jake had been poorly for about 4 weeks but he wasn't diagnosed until 24th December following blood tests. ALL is incurable and chemo may have given him a few more weeks: I wasn't prepared to put him through more suffering. He would have been 10 years old in May 2010.

Jake didn't have to go inside the vet surgery which meant reduced stress for him. I sat with him in the car, stroking his head and hugging him gently whilst the vet gave him his IV. I told him mummy loves him and everything will be ok soon, good boy. He simply closed his eyes and relaxed. Managed to keep it together the whole time for his sake until they took him away.

We are all devastated, comforted only by the fact that we did the right thing for Jake at the right time, and of course by lots of happy memories. I saved the little bit of fur they shaved off his leg and put it in a tiny box. We will take his ashes to his favourite place, the fields and woodland near where we live. We'll let Harvey Hound choose where his best friend will rest.

Please give your Houndies a big hug and tell them you love them.

Jake's (and Harvey's) Mum, Staffordshire, UK

·
Registered
183 Posts
So sorry to hear about Jake. You did the right thing for Jake even though it was hard for you and hope you will take comfort from that. You will be in our thoughts and prayers. Suzanne

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
So sorry to hear about your loss. Know that you did the right thing and cherish the memories you had with him.

~Heather

·
Registered
782 Posts
So sorry to hear about Jake. You did the right thing but it's too bad the right thing is often the hardest to do. Jake's at peace and I hope you're coping well. We're here for you.

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
It certainly sounds as if he was a much loved hound. My thoughts are with you tonight--May the happy memories soon replace the sadness.

]

·
Registered
203 Posts
I am so sorry to hear about Jake. At least you and your family is comfort by the fact you did what was best for Jake and he is not suffering anymore. It is so hard to say good-bye to a family pet. I will be giving Mattie a extra big hug tonight in memory of Jake. My heart goes out to you and your family.

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
I'm sorry to hear about Jake. I went through the same thing with Sadie, but with a different illness. Though it's hard now, the sad memories will be replaced with happier ones. Hang in there.
Amy

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
I'm so sorry to hear about Jake - It sounds like he was a loved and cherished hound - sending lots of healing drool for your family.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thank you, thank you everyone for your kind words of comfort. We have just opened some champagne and raise a glass to Jakehound and all the beautiful Hounds waiting for us at the Bridge. We wish you and your Hounds a happy and healthy 2010.

Jake's mum, Daddy (the other slave) and Harvey Hound x x

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
Having been in your shoes with Bubba five years ago, I know the pain and sorrow you are feeling right now. I'm so sorry about Jake, and I'll be thinking about you and your family.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Hi Bubbaleroy, I remember reading your post about Bubba Christmas 2005 and thinking how sad, especially at that time of year. I guess we all keep going with happy thoughts of our Hounds, healthy and well again at the Bridge.

We collected Jake's ashes yesterday and will wait for a sunny day to scatter them at his favourite walking place.

Thanks again everyone for all the hugs.

·
Registered
2 Posts
So sad for you missing your Jake.
I came here to read tonight because I knew there are pet lovers here. I took our "cat-son" today so he could also cross that bridge. Harrison was 16 and lived outside more than in. He was inside plenty when the kids were younger. He endured wearing doll clothes, riding in remote control trucks, and being carried around like a king. He also took down many a raccoon and possum that dared to eat out of his dish. At his prime he weighed 20 pounds. This morning he weighed 7. It was his time to go.
Our newly aquired Basset will keep us company, but you never forget those pets that were truly members of your family.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts