Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Daddy and I took Jackie to the vet this morning for her Rabies shot and the poor thing has had an allergic reaction to the shot. Ten minutes after the shot was given, she started throwing up violently everywhere. The vet kept her until 3pm this afternoon and then he allowed me to pick her up because she seemed to be doing better.

That did not last long, by 4pm, her right eye had swollen shut and her poor nose had a big hump in it. I rushed Jackie back to the animal hospital and they immediately gave her a shot of steriods and some benadryl (sp?). They are going to keep her overnight to watch her.

Has anyone else had a similar reaction to a Rabies shot? Jackie is twelve weeks and three days old. This is my first night without my baby and I am a worried sick momma :(

·
Registered
535 Posts
We never had any problems like that, I can't imagine what you must be going through right now. We'll be praying for a fast recovery for Jackie.

·
Registered
465 Posts
Hope she feels better tomorrow. The poor little yupper dupper. Let us know how she does. Elmer and Button send smooches and healing drool.

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
Hope she is feeling better soon. I was just reading my new copy of The Dog from Tuft's University- It talks about the rabies vaccine and allergic reactions. The two dogs it mentioned did fine but I know I would be very worried too. Sending you both hugs and drool- Wendy
Mom to Samantah, Jake, Abby & Indy

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
Healing drool being flung your way!

Ruby ate a bee once and came within seconds of dying. A bunch of shots of ephinepherine type stuff and she was fine. I was a wreck and was running red lights to get her to the vet in time. I recognized the signs of swelling because I'm allergic to insect bites.

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
Scary stuff! She's in the best place right now, hopefully she can go home tomorrow...Moose and Bo send drool from the doogy jail. (Kennel)

Sandy

G

·
Wow!! I've never heard of such a violent reaction to a rabies shot!! Poor baby!! Thankfully, it happened at the Vet's office. Sure hope your baby is feeling better soon!

·
Registered
264 Posts
:shock: Wow! I've never heard of a dog being allergic to a vaccine before although I guess if it can happen to a human than of course it can happen to a four legger! Hope she recovers quickly.

I wonder, in the case of a dog who is allergic to the vaccine what alternatives if any are there? In my state at least, dogs need proof of rabies vaccination for obediance classes, getting their lisences, boarding at kennels and so on. what happens now as far as meeting your state/city requirements?

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
That happened to Lightning once. It was a vaccine, but not for rabies. As soon as I got him home, he started throwing up constantly, and rubbing his body all over the carpet. Luckily we lived less than a mile from the vet's, or I don't think he would have survived. The vet gave the benedryl and steroid injections immediately, and Lightning's recovery was fast and total. It's never happened since, but because I live so far from the vet's now, I keep him there for a little while after each vaccination just to make sure he's not having another reaction. I feel for you--it's terrifying to watch.

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
Sorry to hear about Jackie's reaction. :( Rabies vaccinations are required by law in all states and I have not read where there is an exception in the case of a dog who has had a previous allergic reaction. Your veterinarian would be the best one to advise you on your state's rabies laws and how to minimize any potentiial future reactions.

I know it's a nightmre if an unvaccinated dog or cat has an abcess or bite wound of unknown origin in Massachusetts. My 88 year old father's old cat had an abcess and was overdue on rabies. The cat had to spend 6 months in quarantine. Harder on my father than the cat. :(

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I'm happy to say that Jackie is back to her usual self!!! I was able to pick her up at 2pm today from the Vet's office. The first thing she did was give mommy a big hug and many kisses :D

The Vet believes she had a "mild" (I guess by medical standards) reaction to the Rabies vaccine and he recommends administering benadryl a half an hour before her next Rabies vaccine and then keeping her for observation for at least two hours. According to my Vet, there is another version of the vaccine that is taken through the nose but he doesn't have faith in its reliability. Starting next year though, a new form of the vaccine will be approved for the use in North Carolina so we might go with that one next year.

Thanks for all the support...this was my first scare with her and I'm starting to understand my mothering instincts :lol:

Some pictures to prove Jackie is back to normal!!!

·
Registered
360 Posts
Oh I'm so happy to hear that she's ok! What a teeny little thing to have to go through such a hard time. It's very scary that something like that can happen.

I forwarded the original post to a friend of mine. I'm wondering if there is a such thing as an overdose of a vaccine? Maybe they are weight specific doses.

I'm glad she's ok. Keep the sweet photos coming!

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
What did her breeder say? Has the breeder had any dogs that have had vaccine reactions? Might be worth checking with her if you haven't already.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Faysie: I asked my vet the same question and he said that most vaccines (including Rabies) are not based on weight because a certain dosage is required to achieve a resistance level in the immune system. He said that a ten pound dog gets the same amount as a fifty pound dog. The only time that more vaccine is required is in very large breeds and thats only occasionaly.

Here are some links that I found helpful in my research about what happened:

http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm?cl...8&articleid=974

http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm?cl...2&articleid=962

1 - 16 of 16 Posts