Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't know about everyone else's dog but Yogi gets very chilly in the winter so I have a dog jacket for him which is actually a little bit too big. Does anyone have any suggestions on where to get a good fitting jacket for a basset hound? I saw one I kind of liked on Landsend, called a weatherfield jacket but I am not sure how it is going to fit him. With those deep chests it seems like I would need to order a bigger size so it fits properly.
Yogi hates the cold as much as I do! :lol:

·
Registered
144 Posts
I have a waterproof lined blanket for my Lab and now I ordered one from smartpakcanine.com for Baxter. I measured him and he's 28"(base of the neck to base of the tail)! He's not overweight or anything, just long. I had to order the XXXL for it to cover his back. I'm hoping that since it's a blanket with velcro fasteners that it will fit and he won't be swimming in it. I like the blanket types because they are similar to a horse blanket with velcro, easy to put on and take off. I am concerned about Baxter and BJ running around the yard in the snow and coming in all wet and cold. We haven't had any snow yet - but it's coming!!

·
Registered
12,943 Posts
I don't know about everyone else's dog but Yogi gets very chilly in the winter so I have a dog jacket for him which is actually a little bit too big. Does anyone have any suggestions on where to get a good fitting jacket for a basset hound? I saw one I kind of liked on Landsend, called a weatherfield jacket but I am not sure how it is going to fit him. With those deep chests it seems like I would need to order a bigger size so it fits properly.
Yogi hates the cold as much as I do! :lol:[/b]
Generally speaking the velcro closure straps are very adjustable so the only demention you need to be concerned about is length.

for the finest coat/jacket available check put Obtrack Skrylle Dog Coats= but they also have cheaper styles Turnout Coats

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you both. There are some really nice coats on those sites. Now it is just a matter of picking one out for him.

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
Hi! Here are a couple of pictures of a coat that has worked great with our Bassets. The pictures were taked three years ago of Bubba, now "At the Bridge", and we ordered the coat from Drs. Foster and Smith. Not sure if they still have it in their catalog. I'll have to get a picture of Bogie wearing it this year. It's the fleece blanket type with velcro closers and has a slot at the collar area for the leash to go through to hook to the dog's collar. It has worked well for us.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Belle and Gunther have coats from Ruffwear BUT Orvis just started making custom coats and sweaters which is very nice for bassets with weird bodies!

·
Registered
16 Posts
hi here is an answer that is not useful sorry. i am in florida no need for a coat. sam the man is having problems with having a winter coat and then one day it is 70 and the next day it is 50!

how do i reduce the photos

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
When Ruby was a puppy in Bassetchusetts where we lived at the time, my mother sent a couple of knitted sweaters for her even tho she had never met her then. The first one was waaay too small but I still have it. The second one Ruby wore all of one time; she couldn't stand to have it on her. She would rather run out to the tree and do her thing in the blizzards nude. When it was 20 below wind chill, she'd pee and poop on the deck as soon as her feet hit the snow.

:lol:

Janice and little Ruby

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hi! Here are a couple of pictures of a coat that has worked great with our Bassets. The pictures were taked three years ago of Bubba, now "At the Bridge", and we ordered the coat from Drs. Foster and Smith. Not sure if they still have it in their catalog. I'll have to get a picture of Bogie wearing it this year. It's the fleece blanket type with velcro closers and has a slot at the collar area for the leash to go through to hook to the dog's collar. It has worked well for us.

[/b]

Bubba looked so handsome! The coat looks really nice. Yogi's coat is also from Dr. Foster and Smith. It just doesn't fit him the way I would like, not like your boy whose coat fit great. The length is good but it slides around from side to side like crazy when we walk in it and it doesn't have an opening for the leash. I use a harness on Yogi instead of a collar because one time he got out of the collar on a walk and that really freaked me out even though he did come back to me when I called him. I don't know, maybe if I went down one size it would fit a little better although I guess it would be a couple inches shorter. I have a picture of him in it and if I can find it, I will post it.

·
Registered
139 Posts
I've never done jackets for my hounds. They don't seem to need them. If it's real cold, like 10 or below, if there is snow they will get ice in their paws and this will tend to limit our walks.

·
Registered
12,943 Posts
I've never done jackets for my hounds. They don't seem to need them. If it's real cold, like 10 or below, if there is snow they will get ice in their paws and this will tend to limit our walks.[/b]
they make booties too

In the end it becomes a matter of aclamation

for Toughynutter cold was never a problem which is the same as Macey who was born and raised in Canada, Fischer the harrier who in the winter time has a coat that is as thin as a boxers summer coat and born and Raised in SF does get chilled if temps drop bellow 50 degrees and he is not active. Mariah who winters in Florida get chilled when inactive closer to 60 degrees. Both of the dog that are less tollerant of the cold however seem to do better than the other in the dogs days of summer however.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts