Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3,124 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
17th May is our National day, and means something special to all Norwegians! We had - more or less voluntary - been together with Denmark for 400 years, when we were forced into a union with Sweden. Denmark bet on the wrong horse at the Napoleon wars, and after being visited by Lord Nelson, losing their entire fleet and having Copenhagen laid in ruins - they also had to let Norway go.
The union with Sweden was never any popular here, and 17th of May 1814, we got our own constitution. This was celebrated very much, mostly to annoy the Swedes. The parades were formed by school children, so they couldn't attack them.
In 1905 we became independent, so our history of being a free nation is short - that's maybe why 17th of May means so much!

We all dress up nice, and wears banners with our flag:

We met my daughter and her boyfriend:

And my grandson, son, daughter in law, parents in law etc etc:

It's Andreas' first 17th of May:

The parade, many use national costumes:

Emma: "National day or not, when I got to go, I go":

·
Registered
775 Posts
Wonderful pictures. You have a very nice looking family. Your grandson is adorable!!!

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
What wonderful pictures, Steinar. You have a beautiful family, and it's nice to see Emma and Doris enjoying the celebration as well. Andrea is adorable, and we are sure you are a "proud grandpa" !

Aroooos from Bogie!!
You don't own a Basset, a Basset owns you!!

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
Det var en utrelig flott festdag for alle. :)

I think I said, " it was an incredibly nice festival for all"

I'm trying to learn a new language, to keep my mind active. :D
My husband and I both have Norwegian roots, so I thought I'd try it.

Sandy

·
Registered
714 Posts
The Norwegian National Anthem, to honor our Friends from Norway, be they two-legged or four! I believe all of our Cyberhound members are from independent, free countries, so we know how important each of our National Days is!

"Ja, vi elsker dette landet"

Norsk
Ja, vi elsker dette landet,
som det stiger frem,
furet, værbitt, over vannet,
med de tusen hjem.
Elsker, elsker det og tenker
på vår far og mor
og den saganatt som senker
drømmer på vår jord.

Norske mann i hus og hytte,
takk din store Gud!
Landet ville han beskytte
skjønt det mørkt så ut.
Alt hva fedrene har kjempet,
mødrene har grett,
har den Herre stille lempet,
så vi vant vår rett.

Ja, vi elsker dette landet,
som det stiger frem,
furet, værbitt over vannet,
med de tusen hjem!
Og som fedres kamp har hevet
det fra nød til seier
også vi når det blir krevet,
for dets fred slår leir.

English

Yes, we love with fond devotion
This our land that looms
Rugged, storms carried o'er the ocean,
With her thousand homes.
Love her, in our love recalling
Those who gave us birth.
And old tales which night, in falling,
Brings as dreams to earth.

Norseman, whats oe'er thy station,
Thank thy God, whose power
Willed and wrought the land's salvation
In her darkest hour.
All our mothers sought with weeping,
And our sires in fight,
God has fashioned, in His keeping,
Till we gained our right.

Yes, we love with fond devotion
This our land that looms
Rugged, storm-scarred o'er the ocean,
With her thousand homes.
And, as warrior sires have made her
Wealth and fame increase,
At the call we too will aid her,
Armed to guard her peace.

(This was just one version I found, others had many more verses and a slightly different translation)

PS. During WWII, Norway had a top-notch underground resistance movement against the Nazis. Many Allied troops had their lives saved by those Brave Norwegians, either by info secretly passed on, or by acts of sabatouge against the Nazis. Norway is not just a beautiful country, her people are strong and brave! Thank You, Norway!

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Hi Steinar, what a beautiful pictures.

The funny thing is, we are going to Kingsburg (between San Francisco - Los Angeles) for a basset hound parade as part of a Swedish Festival there this Saturday. :D I will remember not to mention Norway to these people. :lol:

·
Registered
73 Posts
:D Steiner, you have a beautiful family (including Emma and Doris) and a beautiful country! Happy May 17th.

·
Registered
3,124 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for all nice comments! :D

Our resistance during the WWII was also meantioned by the American President:

The \"Look to Norway\"-speech by U.S. President Franklin D. Roosevelt was given during the handover ceremony of the Royal Norwegian Navy ship HNoMS Kong Haakon VII 16 September 1942.

In the speech the President among other things said: \"If there is anyone who still wonders why this war is being fought, let him look to Norway.If there is anyone who has any delusions that this war could have been averted, let him look to Norway; and if there is anyone who doubts the democratic will to win, again I say, let him look to Norway.\"

The speech served as a important source of inspiration to Norwegians fighting the German occupation of Norway and the rest of Europe as well as for the freedom fighters of other small countries during World War II.
Celebration in Luster, Sogn - where Tina and the gang lives:

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
I just received an office internal email that today at 3 pm, our office will celebrate Norway National Day. They will provide lots of Norway food and snack, Wow...I can't wait! :eek:

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
Wonderful pictures of a wonderful family and beautiful country- Enjoy your day!

·
Registered
4,902 Posts
Happy National Day! Great photos! Weren't the Norwegian children part of the resistance, smuggling gold out of the country on their sleds to keep it out of Nazi hands? That was one of my favorite stories when I was young. Now that I think of it, it's still one of my favorites. :)

·
Registered
932 Posts
Andreas is becoming quite the charmer - love the outfit. Doris & Emma are gorgeous as usual...... :)

·
Registered
813 Posts
What a lovely national anthem! The words, I mean, I don't know the tune, but the words are very poetic and stirring.

Happy National Day, Steinar! I'm glad the girls got into the spirit of the thing!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts