Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had an M.D. appointment last week and after the ordeal was over she smiled and said really, really nicely, "You could afford to take off a little weight! It seems to have crept up on you in the last year."
Yesterday I took Francis for his 7 year check-up and his lovely little vet smiled at us and said really, really nicely, "You know, Francis looks good but he really needs to lose a few pounds, he's getting up there, you know"
We're both pretty devastated. :(
It's not gonna be so much fun around here for a while.

·
Registered
5,249 Posts
Hehe.

You all can join me and the pups on our diet. I realized when I had to stuff myself in my jeans --- and when I got a gander at Yogi's pot belly sticking out when he lays on his side :eek: --- that the time had finally come.

I would do almost anything right now for a nice chocolate mousse and a big bowl of creamy mashed potatoes with oodles of butter and good gravy. ::gentle sobbing::

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
I decided to drop about 10 lbs. before the dr. "gently" tells me it would be a good idea!

Sounds like a lot of us will be suffering for a while. Ice cream is my greatest loss.....

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
he...he...he...I have the same problem too.
Recently I had 2 weeks of South Beach Diet. I lost 3 lbs only. What I missed the most was pastries!!! I love them soo much, I addicted to them.

I think Henrietta is a bit chubby, not too much though. Winston is as healthy as an ox. :roll:

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Oh yeah, for those ice cream lovers, recently I found out a product- Tofu Ice Cream bar, called Tofutti.
It contains no dairy and sugar. The taste: EXCELLENT!! It is amazing.....you can't tell the difference.

I bought it from local healthy food store, Trader Joe. Hope you can find it near where you live.

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
Sadie & I have the same problem. We have both put on some winter weight, despite walking almost every day. Spencer on the other hand, has no fat. Typical male!

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Like I'd need a doctor to tell me that ... and then charge me for it.

Janet 'n Twink

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Tofutti is full of chemicals; be careful.

Ruby is on the thin side. The best way to lose weight for humans (in my opinion) is to be stressed out for 6 months while looking for a house to buy and then get one that needs major remodeling and then do the major remodeling and only eat salads for lunch every day. Then do manual labor day in and day out getting it up to snuff and so on......

·
Registered
415 Posts
You're not alone, I'm fat too. Currently I'm on 1200 calories a day. I think if I have to be on a diet everyone else should be too. :mad:

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I graduate on May 30 and will take my boards a month after that. I swear if I'm alive by then I will join a gym and go every single day for the rest of my life. :D No, I mean it, I swear! Let's be real, my 1 1/2 mile a day stroll around the park with His Majesty ain't no cardio-walk. It's not just the roses getting sniffed.
Francis, on the other hand, is now on Science Diet's Senior 7+ and I am adding a little warm water mixed with coarse Metamucil to it. (We were at the vet's because Francis's anal glands were packed again and the pumpkin wasn't doing it) She suggested we try other fibrous vegetables but Fran wasn't buying it. I could practically hear him saying "Ptooey!" when he found them in his bowl. He seems to love the Senior 7+ so it's been an easy transition.
You, Wayne, need to go eat an ice cream sundae on behalf of the rest of us!!!! :eek:

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Simon has no problem, me on the other hand............

·
Registered
239 Posts
Food, glorious, food! Last week's appointment at the vet found Roxy, the pointy ear dog, up two pounds, Fred up six pounds, and Harley Chick down two pounds. All in the right directions, the vet was very happy.

My husband is diabetic, so we think about food all the time. To prevent damage to his kidneys, he is limited to 4 ounces of protein and 1300 calories a day and a low potassium diet. Lots of fun food shopping when everything is low carb, high protein!

And Wayne, are you bragging or complaining? ;)

[ April 08, 2006, 05:23 PM: Message edited by: Jersey Girls, plus ]

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Wayne - you are hereby banned! ;) I shouldn't eat ice cream but figure who the heck cares so I eat it anyway! Ice cream isn't really my downfall - pastries will get me every time!

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
What Lynne wrote is true...when we were in Kimberly, where we met when I got Bo from her, she dragged me into a bakery, and FORCED me to eat a cream puff! (Not really, I don't need to be forced, I inhaled it!)
So then my sweet tooth kicked in, and I simply HAD to buy some fudge! And we washed it down that night with Vodka coolers... :D

Sandy

·
Registered
181 Posts
For a year now I have had an "excuse" (nursing) but baby is now 14mos old I think it might be time to lose my baby fat. I feel your pain and this is the reason I don't get on scales. :D Just can't get in my jeans either, but it's time for elastic waist shorts anyway, right? ;)

·
Registered
3,525 Posts
Moe and I favor the Atkins diet... with occasional forays into the fridge for anything edible. :eek: Moe is very trim... though I can't figure out why! He can convince anyone that he hasn't been fed yet (whether it's true or not) and he always eats whatever the cat didn't. Tally-belle is quite a porky-pup and doomed to stay that way, what with her habit of stealing and hiding Moe's dog-biscuits all over the house, upstairs as well as down. :D

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Hey Sandy - that was yummy fudge! Ate it all the way home. Of course Huck was trying his darnest to make me feel guilty for not sharing - didn't work. :D

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
With Francis's nose becoming almost bionic after he lost his vision, sneaking a snack with him around has become close to impossible. I ate a Wendy's burger while driving home from clinic last week (see why I'm chubby?) and he went insane as soon as I walked in the house, He kept sniffing around my hands and tried to lick my mouth as soon as I flopped on the couch. (another reason we're chubby)
I'm telling you, unless you have one of those dogs you see on the cover of "Runner" magazine (which we most definitely don't) :roll: you're doomed!
By the way, my mother is having me over for breakfast (french toast and baked ham)

1 - 20 of 27 Posts