Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
813 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We're having a heat wave after a cold spell and it's taking us all a while to adjust. George is, as his daddy says, "shedding as fast as he can" but he still lies around on the bare floor giving me dirty looks along the lines of "turn the heat down, willya???" So I set up a box fan near his favorite rug and he can lie in front of that (and does, most of the time!). We don't have air conditioning so he's just gonna have to cope, but he is NOT happy and of course, it's all MY fault. I've never figured out how to explain to him that weather is not in my jurisdiction. I get the same dirty looks when it's raining and he "can't" go out (at least, he won't go out -- he might get wet, oh, the horror!).

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
It's hot here too but little Ruby (and us) are spoiled. We have central air conditioning. We didn't have it in Massachusetts and after lugging those very heavy window air conditoners up and down 3 flights of stairs every season, we've had it in every house since. Of course in Florida we had to have it. Here in southern California, a lot of people don't but we do.

Haven't used it but twice since moving into our house in March but I'm sure we will use it daily this summer.

Ruby **LOVES** the cold floor tho.

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
I, too, am responsible for the weather we have. Mine like to lay around in the house on the tile floor but I've noticed if they are out in the yard and spot a rabbit or some other critter that they quickly forget the heat.

For me the worst thing is when it rains! Heaven forbid that any of them should get a dainty basset paw wet.

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
It's pretty hot in Cincy too - 90s. Last week, I was in a sweatshirt & jeans and actually ran the heat a couple mornings to get rid of the chill & this week, we are hibernating in the A/C! There is no happy medium here.

·
Registered
3,525 Posts
We're having a warm spell, too. Fortunately for us, we are surrounded by water and benefit from ocean breezes which usually keep us ten to fifteen degrees cooler than inland areas. We have the Westport River a mile east, the Sakonnet River three miles west - both salt water rivers - and the cool Atlantic five miles south. When others are melting in near ninety degree temps we are a cool seventy - seventy-five degrees. 8) Moe likes to hang out on the porch when he's not letting it all hang out in the driveway. It's shady and not as buggy as the grass, and it has a clear view of two country roads. ALL Bassets should have a covered porch to survey thier world from...

Terry :D

M

·
0 Posts
It has been VERY hot here in Florida! Today Rusty was whining while we were in the pool. We still have the child safety fence around it. We decided to give him another swimming lesson. Poor thing! He sinks every time like a bag of rocks!! He swims but he is so heavy he sinks and takes in water. One swim was enough for him. Stickers stays far away from the pool. So the safety fence will continue to stay up. We had it up for MM so we're actually getting use to the look of it!!!

·
Registered
782 Posts
Terry, I love Tiverton and that area. I used to have a friend who summered there when I was growing up and we went down there occasionally. I've always wanted to go down to the Sakonnet Vineyards and now that I have some free time I may take the trip this summer!
We're fortunate to have a couple of houses on Cape Cod (Falmouth and Orleans) and now that I've finally graduated from school we may finally be able to spend some time down there. Whooppee!

·
Registered
3,525 Posts
Beverly, Sakonnet Vinyard is a beautiful place to visit. On Sunday July 30 they are having a Rythm and Blues festival featuring Entrain, among others, a fantastic band from the Cape and the Islands. Are you familiar with them? We saw them at the Vinyard two years ago and I absolutely LOVED them. They are talented performers who put on a wonderful and fun show, heavy with percussion. You've got to go... it's a fun event that helps support the Little Compton After School Club. The Vinyard has a beautiful slate bar and wonderful wines. My personnal favorite is "Eye of the Storm". I could easily become a wino, if I didn't dislike headaches so much. :wink: We live a couple of miles east of Gray's Ice Cream, which you have to pass by on the way to Sakonnet Vinyard.

·
Registered
4,902 Posts
Originally posted by Terry
Beverly, Sakonnet Vinyard is a beautiful place to visit.  On Sunday July 30 they are having a Rythm and Blues festival featuring Entrain, among others, a fantastic band from the Cape and the Islands.
!

How lucky--just when I was planning my trip "back east"! I'll have to try to fit it into my schedule. :D

·
Registered
3,525 Posts
Betsy, don't forget to stop at Flo's in Island Park for some fried clams or clamcakes. :wink: We've been going there every weekend since they opened :oops: .

·
Registered
3,525 Posts
Oops! Let me make this Basset-related by mentioning that Moe LOVES clamcakes. :wink:

Terry 8)

·
Registered
187 Posts
Yep, it's pretty hot here in Michigan all week. I am not sure Roxy is liking her first heat wave. Thank goodness we have central air in the house.

About the shedding, yep, that too. Shedding like crazy.
Last night I gave her a bath in our tub and I couldn't believe all the hair.

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
Very hot in South Dakota as well. It has been 98 the past two days. Bogie is spending his time lazing in his pipe bed. He's "Mr. Outside" and loves being outdoors even in the heat. He'll lay in the sun and cook and then head for his pipe bed in the shade to cool.

Aroooos from Bogie!

·
Registered
782 Posts
Terry, that sounds great. I love Entrain, I've seen them on the Vineyard and intown.
It's been pouring non-stop for a couple of days. I live on the Charles River and it's been a while since I've seen it up so high. Last month they got swamped on the North Shore and they were just beginning to recover.
My home is getting that permanent "wet dog" ambience.

·
Registered
4,902 Posts
He'll lay in the sun and cook and then head for his pipe bed in the shade to cool.
Bought a pipe bed at a dog show. Very cute, sky blue with beige dog bones printed all over. Not a one of mine will actually use it, and the only one who will even hop on, only on command, is the agility-trained one.

I keep it outside to deter burglars. :oops:

·
Registered
19 Posts
The first bassett I had discovered the air vents in the floor. Even if the airconditioner wasn't running he would lay on top of the air vent and sleep. He also had the habit of wanting every airvent in the pick-up truck pointed directly at him. I was allowed to have the vent on the far driver's side.

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
We all about melted today at the basset picnic. I thought it would a lot cooler there than at home. I think it was in the upper 80's there (?) and at our house it was 93 degrees! More than 10 degress above normal per the weather folks on tv.

You could have rung me out and hung me out to dry!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts