Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

My poor Maggie has been having some severe itching problems. I have made an appointment for the vet this morning so hopefully it will get sorted out. She was doing some mild itching the first couple weeks she was here, but she had fleas - so I assumed it was that. The vet gave her some of that Advantage skin oil for the fleas and she had a rabies shot and one other shot when we were at the vet two weeks ago. Since then the itching has gotten out of control. It was at first on a spot a little ahead of her hind leg, then at her "elbow" on the inside of the other leg. We bought some polysporin and some bitter apple spray to make it feel better/stop from biting. It hasn't helped, and now she has been itching under her front leg with her back foot. It is awful, red, scabbed, fur gone.

Hopefully the vet can help...

Missy

·
Registered
4,902 Posts
Let us know what your vet thinks. If it turns out to be allergies, several of us have lots of experience with allergy dogs, so we can try to help. :)

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The vet seemed to go well. She was given a shot of anti-inflamatory and a series of antibiotics to take because the scratched areas were infected. Although she didn't have all the signs the vet thought it could be mange (she's been walked in the forest a lot) so we gave her a skin treatment for fleas/ticks/mange to be on the safe side.

Today she seems so much better. She didn't seem to scratch herself last night (when she seemed to be doing it the most) I haven't seen her itch at all today at the areas, she slept soundly last night and has been very playful and happy today - so hopefully it is working!

Missjoy and Maggie

Thanks for the support!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts