Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Newbie here. I've got two male bassets, Rowdy (2 years old) and our rescue Banjo (3-4). Rowdy has come down with allergies this year. Does anyone have any home remedies for itchy toes and skin? Rowdy has been to the vet and got a courtizone shot and benedryl. Benedryl helps control the itching, but I hate keeping him on it. He just doesn't act like Rowdy when he's drugged up. Any suggestions?

Thanks

·
Registered
4,902 Posts
Welcome! Sorry to hear about Rowdy; 2 years old is a characteristic age for them to develop inhalant allergies.

My basset Bugsie has had horrible allergies for the last 12 years. I give her cool oatmeal baths, followed by an oatmeal rinse, and then mix up a slurry using the oatmeal rinse in a large plastic measuring cup. I swish each foot in the slurry and then poor it over the feet. I leave it on for about 10 minutes, and rinse, again with cool water. Warm water irritates them and makes the itching worse. :)

[ August 12, 2004, 07:27 PM: Message edited by: Betsy Iole ]

A

·
0 Posts
I had Molly tested for allergies (positive for dust mites and mold) and she is now on shots. The cost is negligible compared to the alternative. In between, I've had good success with Gold Bond powder and Happy Jack Pad Kote. She's a field dog and needs healthy feet for rabbit chasin'. Good luck. Belinda.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I thought about using Gold Bond for his armpits, I will pick some up at the store.

I have an oatmeal shampoo that I use on the boys. Are you referring to Aveno type oatmeal baths, Betsy?

Rowdy isn't scratching himself raw yet, but if it gets to that point, I will get him tested.

What are the side effects of steroids? Or is Benadryl a steroid? Edit-Talked to my wife the pharmacist this morning and found out that Cortisone is the steroid. She told me the long-term side effects in humans, but what are they for dogs?

I gave Rowdy some Benadryl tonight. He was pretty itchy. Banjo even started licking Rowdy's feet. They've never been that close so I was surprised when Rowdy just sat there for a bit and looked like he was thinking "Oh, that's the spot". You know, mouth half open, tonge hanging out the side. Then, he came back to his senses, realized it was Banjo and said, "Grrrr, get away from my feet!" :roll:

[ August 13, 2004, 08:55 AM: Message edited by: DroolingDuo ]

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
Leory also has allergies. He'll lick his foot until there's a raw patch with no hair left. I give him Benadryl at night when it's really bad. I also have some powder that I got from the vet to put on the raw spots, I can't remember the name of it though. He'll drive you crazy with the licking!!!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts