Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I'm posting this to general since it seems to get more responses, but mods feel free to move it if needed.

Elmer seems to spend a lot of time every morning when he first wakes up rolling around, moaning, scratching and rubbing his ears. His first vet never could find anything wrong, (we have switched) and his present vet has told me to make a solution of 50/50 alcohol and strong tea and put 1 ml in each ear each day as needed. Instead of using the dropper, I've had to go to a small spray bottle, which is easier, since he's not a fan of this. It does seem to help. The vet says the combo of alcohol and tannic acid in the tea will dry up the itchy moisture in the ears.

Also: Since it seems to only occur in the mornings, I've changed his bed. I always wash the covers weekly, but I noticed that on the inside of the cushion part there is fiberfill and cedar chippy stuff distributed throughout the fluff. I got them at Cosco. They were probably made in China, which concerns me too. Has anyone ever heard of a dog having allergies to cedar chips? I put his other bed which doesn't have cedar in the bedroom and moved the cedar- containing one to the sunroom. So now, I guess I'll have to get another deluxe bed for Button, since he wants to get on it, too and Elmer won't let him! :rolleyes:

Anyone heard of cedar allergy or the alcohol/tea solution?

·
Registered
2,558 Posts
Murray was allergic to the detergent I was washing his blankets in. He was scratching all the time. So now I do a separate wash load of dog blankets using no detergent, and use the hot water wash and rinse cycles. I usually run them through the cycle twice. I really noticed a difference when I started doing this.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I know this post is from 2008 but did the alcohol and tea mix work for the itchy ears? We clean our bassets ears every couple of weeks but even that seems to be not enough. Dark ear wax build-up. Perhaps a food allergy like I read in other forums. A mystery to be solved. Thanks, rewarder and Tatum

·
Registered
12,947 Posts
Dark ear wax build-up
can be a sign of a yeast infection. While most ear cleaner and control yeast once an infection ocurs they are often not strong or effective enough to control it. Have the vet culture the ears to determine if the dog has an infection and if it does provide a more effective medication.

while allergies can make a dog more prone to ear infection so to can a common and IMHO highly under diagnosed skin condition coomon in basset called seborrhea . If your dog has dandruff it likely has seborrhea. The oily variety is most common in basset

New Treatment of Malassezia Otitis Externa In Dogs
The authors were unable to find published data to demonstrate that ear cleaners alone can effectively treat symptomatic Malassezia otitis externa in dogs.

Searching for an underlying cause of otitis, such as atopy, food allergy, or keratinization disorders, may prove beneficial in identifying primary causes. Therapies for these underlying causes may require long periods of time to be effective. Topical agents are useful to shorten the course of Malassezia otitis externa, but no preparation has become widely accepted for such therapy. Empiric use of various ear cleaners has always been recommended in the treatment of otitis externa to remove otic exudates and allow topical medications to contact the diseased epithelium.

Also of note the blue power/powder ear treatment contains two powerful antifungal agents genetian violet and boric acid. However it is very otic toxic so check with a vet first before using to be sure the eardrum is not puncture or you can do permanent damage.

·
Registered
608 Posts
My guy has never had ear problems. I put it down in part to the fact that every night he gets two tablespoons of low fat natural live yoghurt to eat. I clean his ears with unscented baby wipes about once a month.

When washing his bed I ALWAYS USE a non- bio powder and like Murray's Mum I give it several extra rinse cycles.

·
Registered
878 Posts
My Bassets or my Spaniel have not had ear problems since Thornit powder was recommended to me
about seven years ago for ear mites, itching and canker, and since using it, we have not had any ear
problems that needed costly vet treatment!

A pinch of it (on the end of a teaspoon) in each ear once a fortnight keeps ears healthy and stops
the dreaded ear mites without having to resort to antibiotics etc. I have always recommended Thornit
to all my doggie (and cat) friends.

http://www.thornitearpowder.com

Edit: I also do an extra rinse for dog blankets and I wash quilts too as they harbour dust mites!!!

·
Registered
12,947 Posts
the dreaded ear mites without having to resort to antibiotics etc
IMHO mite infestations threat is way over blown not a likely cause of ear problems that said thornite and other products of there ilk are effective at removing hairs in the ear canal. the hair tends to creat a safe haven for microbes so it is easier to clean and maintain ears that do not have the hairs.

·
Registered
2,780 Posts
I thought my puppy's occasional scratching at his ears was a normal thing, until my friend told me she was taking her pug to the vet for the same thing, and that there probably was an ear infection.

So then I thought I better take mine in, too, and voila! yeast infection in both ears. I thought it would only be in one ear, since he was scratching at one side more than the other. Anyways, after 1-2 weeks of the ear drops, it went away, and he's stopped scratching at his ears completely. good luck, and hope you find the culprit.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thank you for your comments and concerns. At first the Vet just gave us ear cleaner but were just fighting it every month. She never took samples of Tatums ear wax. Yeast sounds like it might be the problem. I'll keep you posted on progress! Again thanks for replying. Hopefully this post will help other Basset owners. Hunter and Tatum.

·
Registered
3 Posts
My guy has never had ear problems. I put it down in part to the fact that every night he gets two tablespoons of low fat natural live yoghurt to eat.
Is there any particular brand you use? I'm not familiar with Yoghurt except Yoplait:) I'm sure Tatum would love some yoghurt.

·
Registered
608 Posts
Hi Rewarder, looked on your profile but don't know which part of the world your from. I'm in U.K. and I use a Bio- live yoghurt. One with live cultures as it contains good bacteria which is thought to fight yeast. Don't know what it would be called elswhere.

I do know that yoghurt without the live bacteria is pretty pointless to give them and has much the same properties as ice-cream.

I give the low fat variety and non- flavoured, just plain yoghurt. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
878 Posts
Thank you for your comments and concerns. At first the Vet just gave us ear cleaner but were just fighting it every month. She never took samples of Tatums ear wax. Yeast sounds like it might be the problem. I'll keep you posted on progress! Again thanks for replying. Hopefully this post will help other Basset owners. Hunter and Tatum.
Don't forget that when you use ear cleaner, that with it being wet, dry their ears thoroughly after cleaning them and when they are laying asleep, flip their lobes back to let the air in! (Well that's what I do, as well as a pinch of Thornit powder once a fortnight)! The live yoghurt sounds good too!

·
Registered
12,947 Posts
Is there any particular brand you use? I'm not familiar with Yoghurt except Yoplait
you need a yougurt with live culture most are not. the ones promoting digestive health have live culture such as activia.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts