Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all. I have a 15 month old spayed Basset bitch who seems to be constantly itchy....?

She doesn’t have fleas and I have her on an hypoallergenic diet but she’s still really itchy. Seems to be mainly under her chin and in the creases of her legs (the bits that get sweaty).

Shea been to the vets a few times with it and been on apoquel which is expensive and has a limited effect.

What can I do? I’ve been thinking of natural remedies such as coconut oil? Or maybe a cream?

Help on this one would be very much appreciated

·
Registered
2,661 Posts
Maybe try using a homemade fish and potato diet for a while (it will take a while before you see any improvement) or of course, one of the complete fish and potato diets now available. Also consider what chemical cleaners you are using around the home which could be affecting her. I'm assuming the vet checked for mites (via a skin scrape)?

·
Registered
13,027 Posts
Food allergies only responsible for 10-15 percent of all allergies in dog . In dog with food allergies 90% of them have Atopy (inhalant/contact) allergies. So in is very unlikely a change of diet is going to se an aliviation of the symptoms. It is very likely allergies are the cause given the age of onset and the location of itching, that said a other skin problems can be the cause or contribute as well such as seborrhea. Most General ractice type vets are not very good at treating allergies. You will be much further ahead and cheaper in the long seeking out a vet that specializes in dematology.

"tchiness due to atopy tends to begin early in a pet's life (between ages 1 and 3 years in 70% of dogs diagnosed with atopy). Food allergy tends to begin later (more like age 5 or 6 years in dogs) or earlier (less than 6 months of age). Age at which itching first manifests is not as reliable a sign in cats as in dogs. '

"Oclacitinib

This is a new medication best used for itch relief and blocking itch symptoms. It has been especially popular as it works very fast. It does not address the inflammation in the skin; it just stops the itch sensation. This means that infection still needs to be controlled. For more details visit: www.Apoqueldogs.com"

·
Registered
124 Posts
Hi all. I have a 15 month old spayed Basset bitch who seems to be constantly itchy....?

She doesn’t have fleas and I have her on an hypoallergenic diet but she’s still really itchy. Seems to be mainly under her chin and in the creases of her legs (the bits that get sweaty).

Shea been to the vets a few times with it and been on apoquel which is expensive and has a limited effect.

What can I do? I’ve been thinking of natural remedies such as coconut oil? Or maybe a cream?

Another avenue s a cytopoint injection--last 6-8 weeks. If it seems to work it may be allergies. We have tried that on our basset who also had yeast issues from antibiotics (post surgery) and this seems to help more than any topical. Most topicals have some alcohol which is more irritating.

·
Registered
3 Posts

I had switched my dog to Purina Proplan sensitive stomach and skin dog food. It has done wonders! Salmon is the main ingredient. Best of luck!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts