Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a new bassett, he is eight weeks old. He constantly whines and tries to scratch his back right flank. We have flea bathed him, bathed him in conditioning shampoo and put flea medication on him. He has no fleas and the skin does not appear red. Also, he is scared of the dark (is this normal). I love this little guy, I have waited for years to get a bassett, however he is just like having a new baby, he cries constantly, is scared of the dark and wants someone holding him constantly. Is this normal and will it get any better.

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
Has he been checked by your veterinarian? I've seen pups biting at their flank when anal glands are bothering them. Have your vet check him out.

And yes having an 8 week old basset is like having a new baby. Don't expect much at this young age. Letting him sleep in a crate in your bedroom should help with his fear of the dark. I've always heard about using a wind-up alarm clock to keep them company but I've never tried that trick-too loud for me.

Enjoy, before you know he'll be all grown-up.

·
Registered
2,558 Posts
Besides letting the pup have the security of sleeping with his pack (us),having the crate in our bedroom right next to the bed also helped us with potty training. If Murray had to go during the night, he would become restless or whine because he would not want to wet his blanket. I would get up with him once or twice each night and take him out- it taught him that if he asked he would be taken out,and this carried over to daytime. He was housebroken very quickly.Good luck with your new baby!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you for the help. I never thought about his anal glands, because he was not scooting. However, I will take him in and let them look at him.

·
Registered
85 Posts
When my girls were puppies and slept in the dark I would play classical music for them. I don't know for sure if it helped but they didn't cry as much. I still play it for them today when they are alone in their crates just for something to listen to. You could also try a stuffed animal for your puppy to sleep with. That can add some security and something to snuggle with. I second the anal gland opinion.

CTG

·
Registered
905 Posts
There is a plug-in diffuser on the market called D.A.P.(dog appeasing pheromone) which I was advised by my vet to get for my westie (she can be very nervous etc) It releases a hormone similar to the mother. It is for dogs like her, new pups and dogs which are suffering a bereavement or similar. It works on all ages, and I have to say I am finding it really effective with her. Seems to calm her and help her to sleep much more soundly. I would recommend you ask your vet about it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts