Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my husband and I are still at my inlaws until we can close on our house in a few months. Together we all have 5 basset hounds - 3 girls and 2 boys. The rent house we are currently in has a small back yard for the 5 of them and I try to entertain mine with a long everyday but the barking that goes on between the 5 of them is ridiculous! I'm hoping that in a few months between seperating mine from the inlaws and mine going through puppy obedience will solve the barking issue we have.

I feel sorry for our neighbors that is until today when we were painting (about 30 min away) at the other house and when we came home we had a lady drive up behind us... "Are these your dogs?" it was the 2 males. They found them way down the street at the KFC. (I laugh at this now though... :lol: ) So we look in the back yard ::praying:: that the girls are still back there. One of them was and when we came around the corner we found the lawn mower that we use as a "lock" on the gate (because it serves as a baracade and its heavy as heck!!) has been pushed out of the way and the gate was swung wide open. Someone has let out our dogs!! I assume the dogs haven't figured out how to rally together to push a lawnmower anyway.... :blink:

So we prowl the neighborhood and many people tell us how our dogs came up and licked their face before traveling off... Then someone else with a basset hound gives us a call to say they are safe and to come pick them up. Thank God!! The first time we lost them they were stolen... Today we almost lost them again... I was frantick... We changed all the locks on the gates and I'm making perimeter checks around the yard a few times a day. If they want the dogs gone I don't put it past them to poison them either.

It's sad I'd even have to think that but these are my babies! They are my family and If someone would move a lawn mower baracade and swing our gate open then I'd have to think they might be really out to get the dogs right?? :(

·
Registered
3,124 Posts
Sounds like a dangerous situation,
5 bassets on the loose will inevitably end up
with some of them getting hurt or disappearing.

I know that some use a web camera to survey
their dogs while they are away, you just need
a camera, a computer and a permanent broadband
internet connection. Maybe that's an idea to see what's
really going on.

BTW - I've heard the most amazing stories about how
bassets can escape, even though it may sound strange
that they are mowing the lawn in your absence...

--------------------
<span style="color:#009900">The one that drools rules, :p
Steinar - daddy and foodslave to Emma and Doris!

http://www.basset-hound.net.tf</span>

·
Registered
608 Posts
What a nightmare. I think I would leave the dogs indoors until a better solution can be found. Too many creeps out there.

·
Registered
535 Posts
I agree with sadeyes2, I would leave them inside when gone. We never leave the dogs out side when were gone but our neighbors do and one day somebody (probably some kids) thought it would be funny to go around the neighborhood letting all the dogs out. Our neighbors found their dogs across a busy street. I would of freaked if I came home and my dogs were gone. Even when were home I'm always checking on the dogs when their outside to make sure their ok and not into any trouble.

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
I'm so glad they are all safe and sound. I know that horrible moment when you realize someone - or several someones - are missing.

I agree that I wouldn't leave them alone outside. There is just too much potential for disaster. Years ago we had a man in our neighborhood who was mentally troubled. He poisoned several neighborhood dogs by feeding them meat laced with Decon. One of mine was poisoned but recovered. Another neighbor was not so lucky.

Hope you get into your new house on schedule and that the problems stop.

·
Registered
5,249 Posts
I would definitely leave them inside while you're not there.

A few years back, I lived in a town where some pet activists were releasing "imprisoned" dogs by opening gates to people's yards. I kid you not. Some people have very misguided notions about animals, including a belief that dogs should run free.

And then there are people who are simply not responsible or are kids or whatever, and will open gates just 'cause.

Glad they made it home!

·
Registered
225 Posts
Take this as a lesson. People can be far more cruel that you would think.
Now you gotten proof that someone in your neighbourhood will to mean
things when it comes to your dogs. keep them safe henceforth.

But I just have to say, one should be able to keep one's dog in one's own back
yard without fear of what could happen to them. Alas it's not like this anymore.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts