Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
775 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First, let me start off by saying I hope I don't offend anyone. I belong to several hound forums and have noticed a good number of hounds wearing choke collars. I don't think people realize how dangerous they can be. I had a serious scare a number of years ago. My German Shepherd (ATB) was wearing a choke collar and was sunbathing on our wooden deck. I called him in and he didn't respond. He always came when I called him. After another shout and no response, I went out to find his ID tag had fallen between the slats of the wooden deck and he was being choked!

I had to use bolt cutters to free him. I don't even want to think of what would have been if I hadn't been there. Also, a number of years ago, my friends dog (a Lab mix) was wearing his choke chain and tried to jump the chain link fence and hung himself.

I would hate to hear of anymore horror stories because of these collars. They are fine to use on walks but please remove that collar when not walking. If you want your hound to wear a collar at all times consider the breakaway collar. I still have the one from my German Shepherd and Maggie Mae's. If I want a collar on R & S, they wear the breakaway collars. This was designed after the owner's dog died.

www.breakawaycollar.com

Something to think about!

·
Registered
465 Posts
Yes, that's very true. We only use one on Elmer when we have to go to the vets, along with his regular collar because he can somehow always move backwards and slip out of his regular collar. Also never tie a dog on a high porch wearing any kind of collar. My sister's 10 year old Sheltie who was blind was being cared for by a teenager and their cat got hit by a car. In all the excitement, the girl tied Poco's leash to the railing on a high deck, and he fell, hanging himself. She lost two animals at once! Unbelievable.

Also, the other day I was at a smoke damage inspection (we do fire & water restoration ) at a dog groomer's. She had a dog in a crate and I bent over to speak to him, and he was on his side trying desperately to get up and couldn't. I asked "is this dog having a seizure?" (Nosy eagle eye that I am for animals) and she came over to look. His tags had gotten hung on some of the metal in the bottom of the crate. I was glad to see that she removed the collar. But seriously, it's amazing how some animals even make it!!!!

If I was home all the time, we wouldn't use collars at all, but we have a dog door, and fences can fail (as I found out Monday morning). At least they would be identified by their dog tags if they got out.

I just visited the website. I'm ordering two for E & B right away. This is a good product for a worry-wort like me!!!

·
Registered
538 Posts
Because of Emma's recent bout with glaucoma, our ophtamologist strongly suggested having NO COLLAR around her neck...but instead to outfit her with a harness when we needed to. So she now has a bright pink harness to wear :lol: And even when wearing this bright pink harness, I STILL have people say "oh look at how cute HE is" :angry:

1 - 3 of 3 Posts