Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi There! We're new to this forum but are super happy to be here! What a fantastic resource this website is! I can't tell you how many times, I have been searching for something and found the answer within this website.

I have two Basset Baby Girls...

Lucy is my brown tri-color Basset. I know you aren't suppose to have favorites, but she's the best dog a girl could ever hope for! When I adopted her, I will never forget her Foster telling me that she doesn't warm up to people easily and not to expect much. I went in, sat on the ground about 6 ft away. After a good sniff, she decided I was the one, and sat down next to me. Lucy hasn't left my side since. I don't know much about Lucy's past, except she had been beaten and dumped. The police, who found her said she had been taunted by coyotes. She must have won because they found a dead coyote near her. Lucy's feet were covered in blisters from walking so far. I'm honored she placed her trust in me. Lucy must have known she came home that night, because she simply jumped in bed and curled up at the end. That's where she has slept every night since.

Millie is my black tri-color Basset, whom I adopted when she was 14 weeks old. She was born in foster care after the owners of her mother realized that having to unfixed Bassets means puppies! Lucy's trainer suggested a friend would help Lucy come out of her shell; so Lucy and I searched high and low for her a sibling. I had never had a puppy before, just older dogs. I can't thank this site enough for all of the advice that was posted. Sometimes, I think I may have over socialized her because she never knows a stranger, always has kisses too give, never ending energy, and never fails to make me laugh. As for Lucy, she is Millie's protector and in return, Millie has given Lucy a playmate and taught her not everyone is bad and broken the Lucy's shell she was hidden in...

Anyway, that's all about us! We feel like we already know so much about all of you! :)

·
Registered
12,943 Posts
She must have won because they found a dead coyote near her
basset can be a lot tougher that most people give then credit for. it would not be the first account of a basset killing a coyote

·
Registered
517 Posts
Welcome Lucy and Millie!!!! Since it is Thanksgiving I just wanna say -- Lucy I am grateful that you found such a great loving home and don't have to fight off those coyotes anymore. You must be a BRAVE girl to have the courage to do that!!! I don't think that many could have done what ya did. I'm also grateful that you have a baby sister -- she is very lucky to have you to protect her from all the meanies of this world!! Hey! YOU ARE BOTH lucky to have each other!!!

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
Such a sad story for Lucy but such a wonderful ending to the story. Put lots of pictures up and continue to let us know how the pups are doing.

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
Welcome, Lucy and Millie! Looking forward to hearing more stories and be sure to post lots of pictures!

What a horrifying way to start your life, Lucy. I'm glad you have someone that loves you so much and a little sister to pick on.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thank you all for the warm welcome! We are excited to be here! We've loved getting to know everyone.

Worm - Millie is pretty sure she might be you're sister... She knows she had two brothers... You two are identical in what you get into and attitude...

Lucy has had a hard road! She didn't like men for a long time, but her trainer, my fiancee, father, and brothers have worked very hard with her. This summer, she started approaching men on her own at the dog park and recently she climbed into the lap of a man who was sitting down. I was shocked, but so happy for her.

Much to Millie's dismay, Lucy has now started to play with toys. For the past year, the toys have been just Millie's because Lucy had no interest. Suddenly, Lucy has now developed an interest...

On another note... One year ago this week, I adopted Millie at 14 weeks old. I never thought I'd say this, but I miss having a puppy. Millie is still very puppy-like, but it's not the same...

Attachments

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
I never thought I'd say this, but I miss having a puppy. Millie is still very puppy-like, but it's not the same...
I know what you mean. Molly is over a year now and Winston is 8 months. He's so naughty and I keep thinking how grateful I'll be when he's out of the puppy stage. Then I look at him, with his gangly body and head that's too big and his silly ears, and I think how I will also miss this stage. I am so torn. All I want is a well-behaved puppy. As if...

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Agreed! I've thought about volunteering to foster a litter if one was available, but then remembered all of the chaos that was Millie during those first few months. I don't think my carpet would be able to handle it again! LOL!

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
Molly was a holy terror at 8 months as well, we got Winston then and she started calming down (combination of growing up, having a playmate, and her emerging Addison's Disease). Now she is a lovely, mostly-well-behaved girl. Winston is her true brother (same parents, different litters), so we are hoping he follows her temperament. We shall see.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Millie never destroyed anything as a puppy, but if she could get into it she would try... My biggest complaint was potty training! She took forever to potty train! Turns out she had a massive UTI. Once that was cleared up, and she got started on a cranberry supplement, she got potty training very quickly.

I'm not sure Millie has grown up; her body has, but not her temperament or attitude.

I would think Winston, having the same parents, would be very similar to Molly. Its probably like human children though, where you just don't know. By the way, I love their picture of them together! It's just adorable!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts