Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My basset's quicks are relatively long, such that I can't cut his nails short enough (even after cutting them, I can still hear his nails on the kitchen floor).

Would I have to cut into the quicks in order to shorten them? Or is there another less painful way?

Thanks in advance for your help.

I'm new here by the way, from Cleveland, OH. My name is Adam and my Basset's name is Booya (Boo for short).

The last couple of weeks I haven't been able to stay away! Love seeing all of the pictures and stories of everyone's Bassets. Just can't get enough of Bassets!

Anyways, good to be here. Thanks for any advice you have.

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Hi Welcome to the forum.

My Winston also has a really long and thick nails. We tried to cut them as best as we can because you don't want to cut them too short and make them bleed. Dogs don't like that, it's a traumatic event for them. It's like having your finger tips cut off.

We cut as much as we can, to the end of the pink tip. You can see this pink tip if his nails are white/clear color but if his nails are black or dark color, it could be difficult to see.
Our measurement is as long as the tip of the nails don't touch the floor, I think it's good enough. You can still hear them as he's walking around.

BUT other might have a different opinion.

J

·
0 Posts
Molly has the same issue. We adopted her from the humane society. Our vet thought that perhaps her original owners did not keep her nails trimmed as they should have, thus allowing the quick to grow too long. Her nails don't seem to grow as fast as our labs do.

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
I asked a former small-animal vet about this once, because Stomps has the same problem, and he said the next time he had his teeth cleaned or needed to be under general anesthesia, they could trim his nails very short. I don't know if that would cause the quick to permanently shorten, or if it was only a temporary fix. But I never pursued it because even though he'd be asleep, I still thought it would be very painful. Has anyone else heard anythink like that from a vet?

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Originally posted by Lina
Hi Welcome to the forum.

My Winston also has a really long and thick nails. We tried to cut them as best as we can because you don't want to cut them too short and make them bleed. Dogs don't like that, it's a traumatic event for them. It's like having your finger tips cut off.

We cut as much as we can, to the end of the pink tip. You can see this pink tip if his nails are white/clear color but if his nails are black or dark color, it could be difficult to see.
Our measurement is as long as the tip of the nails don't touch the floor, I think it's good enough. You can still hear them as he's walking around.

BUT other might have a different opinion.
yeah. i definitely will NOT cut into his quicks (this is why I'm asking). i've done it before by accident and he definitely did not enjoy it.

i guess i'll just have to get scientific about the whole thing and cut them as close to the quick as possible.

·
Super Moderator
5,042 Posts
You can do it the vet way, since he's under anesthesia and going on antibiotics anyways. If you maintain the nails after that the quicks should stay short.

The slow way is to simply cut the nails very frequently (once or twice a week) and just take off a little each time. If the nails are kept as short as possible the quick will slowly recede. Using a grinder helps too, I grind around the quick like a pencil.

·
Registered
12,937 Posts
the other option other than mention above and having the nails cut while the dog is under is to cut close to the quick and exposing it without acutual cutting into it. Basical revealing the pulpy center of the nail when pressure of walking is applied the quick will recede slowly over time. However most bassets nail grow so quickly it ussually requires timing the nails 2-3 time per week to be successful. also Carfully triming from the center of the nail out to the edge can reveal more of the quick without cutting it and also it will take a bit longer for the nail to grow so you will have a bit more time between trimmings.

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
We did the under anesthesia nail trim with cauterization of the quick- It was a nightmare- Sami developed a subungual hematoma and couldn't walk- We ended up at the ER vets because she was in so much pain- the vet there said some dogs should just not have the procedure and he personally never recommended it- We had to do soaks, antibiotics and no walks for quite a while...

H

·
0 Posts
Hub has been "on the run" for close to a year before we adopted him. LOOOONNNGGG nails.

I have tried to be diligent about having them trimmed every 3 weeks or so....after almost 2 years, we're finally to the point that I don't hear the clicking after his trims.

Just took a long time to get the quik to recede.

J

·
0 Posts
Adam - a special welcome to a fellow Clevelander!!! I'm on the west side.

Josés nails are long and my plan is to cut a small amount often. No small task since he hates it. I thought my vet told me that by cutting closer to the quick you can go slowly but surely to get them shorter - she said you shouldnt do it all at once, just go little by little. I admit to laziness here because I cut them (never too close) and plan to do so again in a week or so, then I forget and basically start over. Walks on the street seem to keep his nails somewhat in check.

I have a theory on why José hates his nails trimmed now, because as a puppy he had no problem with it. I think as soon as the cutters get dull, he feels the pressure and it creeps him out because he feels his whole nail. With sharp cutters it will cut through with much less pressure. So I invest in new cutters every so often. I've been meaning to see if my husband can sharpen the ones I've stopped using.
Lisa

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Originally posted by Jose'
Adam - a special welcome to a fellow Clevelander!!!  I'm on the west side.

Josés nails are long and my plan is to cut a small amount often.  No small task since he hates it.  I thought my vet told me that by cutting closer to the quick you can go slowly but surely to get them shorter - she said you shouldnt do it all at once, just go little by little.  I admit to laziness here because I cut them (never too close) and plan to do so again in a week or so, then I forget and basically start over.   Walks on the street seem to keep his nails somewhat in check.

I have a theory on why José hates his nails trimmed now, because as a puppy he had no problem with it.  I think as soon as the cutters get dull, he feels the pressure and it creeps him out because he feels his whole nail.  With sharp cutters it will cut through with much less pressure.  So I invest in new cutters every so often.  I've been meaning to see if my husband can sharpen the ones I've stopped using.
Lisa
thanks! Go Indians! I'm down-town so my Basset is always walking on side-walks but he's afraid of strangers so i'm actually thinking about moving to the suburbs.

anyways, that's a good idea about the clippers. the ones i have i've had now for over a year so i'm not sure if they would've dulled by now or not but it's worth a try.

also, i recently borrowed a friend's grooming table and that seems to help quite a bit as far as keeping him steady while i clip.

thanks again and take care.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts