Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last weekend I bought some cherries for our boys Chuck and George. I had to travel for business during the week, so I asked my husband to give them the cherries during the week. He was not excited about the idea, because he didn't want to go through the trouble of getting the seed out of each cherry before giving them to the boys. I had to plead with him and told him that George loves to have cherries on a hot summer night. My husband in turn challenged me to name something that the boys do not like. I thought about it for a long time, and couldn't come up with an answer. The boys will eat anything we give to them, apples, banana, watermelon, lettuce, tomato, green pepper, cucumber, blueberries... Basically any fruits and vegetables that we would let them have. I have yet to see them turn down any offerings. Is there anything that your bassets will not eat?

·
Registered
191 Posts
I have never given mine any fruit. I have always been afraid because so much of it is deadly to them such as grapes and raisins.
My Daisy will not eat eggs and my husband thinks it is strange.

·
Registered
12,947 Posts
much of it is deadly to them such as grapes and raisins.
My Daisy will not eat eggs and my husband thinks it is strange.
Grapes and therefore raisin are only deadly/toxic in quanity

yes I have yet to own a basset that will eat mushrooms, Macey who absolutely loves lettuce spit out mustard greens, she will also not eat an atomic fireball but she has eaten hot peppers, altoids, celery etc.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Roxie will not eat pickles or jello. Jello she just plays with and mashes into the floor... I think she doesn't like the consistency. Otherwise with her anything is edible. Beau is a very picky eater and has to check out everything we give him and usually his sister follows him and eats it if he deems it inedible.

·
Registered
186 Posts
toby is strange. if he is supposed to eat it, he turns his nose up and acts picky. if it's human food, he will try and steal it no matter what it is.

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
Yogi doesn't like italian sausage or clam sauce (just like me!). Other than that I think he will eat almost anything. He always gets a pea size bite of whatever we are eating for dinner. Gunny hates bananas!

·
Registered
112 Posts
We haven't found anything Mercedes or Zatarra won't eat yet, but we have found Zatarra is especially fond of chicken.

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
Bella does not like egg whites (Pearl, on the other hand eats whole eggs, shells and all).

·
Registered
46 Posts
Dill pickles are the only thing Flash won't eat; I think his view of food is " if it's good enough for you, it's good enough for me".

:p

·
Registered
79 Posts
Gave my Flash a carrot and he played with it for about 5 minutes and left it on the floor. Gave Oscar, our Lab, a carrot and Flash stole it from him and ate it in 2 seconds!

·
Registered
297 Posts
Well that one was obviously better since he got to steal it from his brother. LOL. Silly basset.

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
This has been one of my biggest questions/concerns about miss Annie...she eats everything! I have never fed her table scraps or allowed anyone in my family to feed her "human" food. But she will pick tomatoes (green or red) and eat them, or sometimes instead of eating them she will take them to the top of our jacuzzi, drop it and then drop her back on it and roll around creating a seedy tomato mess on her coat! Yesterday while BBQing I noticed she was sniffing around and eating small pieces of charcoal that fell from the BBQ! I expected her to have some tummy issues last night because of it, but she was fine.

A few weeks back she was acting distressed, pacing in the backyard after bed time licking the ground and panting. I, of course, freaked out but she finally calmed down and went to bed. I did a little research and decided that maybe she was lacking a nutrient and/or mineral so I re-introduced beef into her diet and she seems to be doing much much better.

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
Right? Such a piggy! But after reading a few posts I think I'll share my favorite treat with her from now on, frozen cherries.

·
Registered
973 Posts
I have a mutt that's part basset (not the one in my pictures) and he is a terribly picky eater. There are a LOT of things he won't eat. He refuses to eat in the morning and some days he just won't eat at all. I have never met a dog as picky as he is.

He won't eat any vegetables at all, and he also won't eat any hard treats unless they are a really fancy yummy kind. Milkbones or any other low end cheap treat he won't eat.

Judging by everyone else's response though, I imagine this trait probably came from one of the other breeds in his mix

·
Registered
1 Posts
green beans

The only thing I haven't seen my basset eat before are green beans. He turned his nose up at it! Any other vegetables he loves! I also have a hard time getting him to eat dry dog food by itself, I had to start adding canned food to it.. Spoiled dog! :cool:

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
Years ago I had 2 Samoyed mixes. We had a roll of the fiberglass insulation stored near their dog house. I came home one night and only fond the silvery backing. Not a sign on the pink stuff anywhere. I sat up with them all night expecting the worst (since to this day I'm sure they ate it). Not so much as a bout of diarhea.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts