Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello,

I recently acquired a 4 month old "basset hound". Please see images attached. He was advertised as a Purebred basset hound. However, some may speculate that this is a "beagle hound" as he is larger. I thought I would post this to see your thoughts. Is he a Albany type basset, a true basset or a beagle hound? Sorry if the photos are flipped, I am not sure why it uploaded like that.

Comments are appreciated. Thank you!

Attachments

·
Registered
2,487 Posts
Hello,

I recently acquired a 4 month old "basset hound". Please see images attached. He was advertised as a Purebred basset hound. However, some may speculate that this is a "beagle hound" as he is larger. I thought I would post this to see your thoughts. Is he a Albany type basset, a true basset or a beagle hound? Sorry if the photos are flipped, I am not sure why it uploaded like that.

Comments are appreciated. Thank you!
I can't stand in my head to see those photos, but can see enough to see his overly long legs. Albany-type - so are you in the UK and bought from what was the old Albany Pack hounds? If so many of them were up on the leg. The Albany, after the split with the BHC, did use hounds from other non-purebred packs so your hound may well be one of those.

The ONLY way you'll know for sure is via the official registration papers from the Kennel Club of his country of birth (ie the UK KC?). Otherwise it may be he's one of the mixes produced within the Albany/Westerby Pack.

He has gorgeous dark eyes, the long ears a Basset would have, not a Beagle and length. Just overly long legs and rather lacking in the bone we'd prefer to see.

Why not ask who you bought him from?

ps Very occasionally there can be a throwback within a registered purebred litter which means the legs are longer than required!!

Add - I have no idea why this answer was repeated!!!! I deleted the first answer leaving .... to comply with this website's requirements

·
Registered
12,868 Posts
"Add - I have no idea why this answer was repeated!!!!"

crap happen long since given up on figuring out the why.

Ears and Head are typical of a basset and not a cross or mixed breed is it possible a mix but remote.

An age of the dog could be helpfull. All dogs do not grow evenly in all directions at a uniform rate. Most bassets go through a leggy /ungainly period however it appears his is much more pronounced tan typical it is possible he will body up and grow into his longer legs but this is unlikely. Much more likely he remains leggy compared to ideal breed standard.

Is the dog neutered/spayed? especially early. This tends to create a leggier dog 1/4 " taller than intact littermates. in studies.

·
Registered
2,487 Posts
The Basset Hound is a short-legged breed of dog of the hound family. The Basset is a scent hound that was originally bred for the purpose of hunting hare. Their sense of smell and ability to ground-scent is second only to that of the Bloodhound.
Really? With respect, this doesn't answer OP's question (other than to say the BH is a short-legged breed .......... ;)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts