Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:confused:Hi, I am new on here. I have been searching the internet to find images of pregnant bassests to see if they look like our Minnie. Minne found us about a year ago, she was obviously abused and malnurished. She is now very healthy and a wonderful addition to our family. Earlier this week, my daughter asked me why Minnie looked saggy. After a close inspection, and milk coming from her teats, I am guessing she is pregnant. Can anyone tell me if this is something that a pregnant basset has, the milk and sagginess? I can't afford to have an ultrasound done on her, which is what the local vet wants to do. I have looked at pictures of pregnant bassest, and been told by a friend that you can't really tell until they are about to give birth that they are pregnant! Any tips? We will be taking her into a vet, just have to wait a few weeks. I am nervous about it now. I want her to have whatever she needs to keep her and the pups healthy. Any suggestions would be great! Thanks, ill be posting pics of her later on!

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
Hi and welcome :)

If you got Minnie roughly a year ago...wouldn't you be aware if she was bred to a male dog? I'm not being rude, just wondering if she got out and had access to a male dog? How old is she? Spayed? There are others here who will provide you with a wealth of knowledge...I'm just being inquisitive :)

PS...we love pictures :)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Twice in the past month, my wonderful children have forgotten to close my gate and all of my dogs got out. Minnie hasn't been spayed yet, that was supposed to happen next month! Although we caught the dogs, both times, very quickly, I am still worried. She's healthy and happy but the last week or so I have noticed that she is more territorial of her dog house and bed. She has also been "talking" more. She is very vocal with us but this last week she has been more so. I swear she is trying to tell us. She comes in and lays at my feet, belly up and whines or howls a bit then starts wagging her tail. She never did that before, lol, like I said I swear she's trying to tell me she's going to have babies.

·
Registered
616 Posts
She could be going through a false pregnancy. Females can go through this if they are not pregnant but their bodies believe that they are. My girl Breezy just went through this complete with lactating nipples. It can last up to 3 weeks. Google false pregnany for more info.

·
Super Moderator
5,042 Posts
There is no way to tell by observation whether she is having a false pregnancy or a real one until the very end. However, you can discuss with your vet having a relaxin test done.
That would be cheaper than an ultrasound.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The last couple of days Minnie's teats have become more swollen, way more swollen, lol. She is soo vocal. She was a little vocal before but I swear she's trying to tell us something. Is it normal for bassests to become more vocal during pregnancy?

·
Registered
183 Posts
You'd be better off not worrying about how vocal she is and get a diagnosis from vet. Then, if she is pregnant, you'd better get some good advice from someone with basset whelping experience, otherwise you could end up in a situation that you can't handle.

I'm no expert, but you HAVE to get your act together!

·
Super Moderator
5,042 Posts
Vocal has nothing to do with it. Until you can actually see the pups moving only a vet can determine if she is pregnant. You need to know sooner than that as there are preparations that need to b e made, and you obviously have a ton of research to do on whelping and rearing puppies if she is indeed pregnant.

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
????
I'm wondering...

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Just to let you know... I've been reading as much as I can on how to care for Minnie and the possiblility of pups. I am a responsible dog owner and want the best care for all of my animals. I have talked to my vet, that's the first thing I did! I will be taking her in next week for an examination. I came on here to get advice from those who have bassets. My vet hasn't had to deal with very many bassest and I thought that I could get some advice on here. I only asked about her being vocal because I wasn't sure if that was something normally associated with pregnant bassets. Minnie is also snapping at my other dogs which she has absolutely never done. I figured this was also from her being pregnant.

·
Super Moderator
5,042 Posts
It is also common for them to go through hormonal behavior changes with a false pregnancy. So no, that is not an indication one way or the other.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts