Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have always heard that Basset's were big barkers, but not mine! I am not complaining, but I would like to hear her let one roar every once in awhile! :D

Attachments

·
Registered
973 Posts
Anabelle barks at dinner time when she's excited for food, and sometimes when I get home from work when she's excited, but the only time I have heard her howl like a hound dog is when she's sleeping. I guess some just aren't as talkative as others.

·
Registered
774 Posts
Let's see, Cannoli barks when she's hungry, when she wants to go outside, when she is thirsty, when she is happy, when she is playing with the other dogs, when the other dogs are playing without her, when she is sad, when the wind blows, when the sky is blue. . .

Sometimes she just sits in the middle of the livingroom and barks at us for no apparent reason other than talking. We carry on a conversation with her until she's said her piece :rolleyes:

·
Registered
6 Posts
Non-barker Too

Leonard is also a non-barker. He doesn't even bark to go outside. Instead he sits patiently at the back door until he's noticed. I've been trying to get him to howl and so far he only will do it to "charge". It has to be a pure bugle charge also and he won't howl for any other calls.

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
Boomer barks at about everything, but is also content to be quiet and watch the world go by.

And sometimes he'll ahrrooo like he's treed a coon, but he doesn't howl. We got him to howl maybe twice by howling first, but he hasn't howled since.

·
Registered
878 Posts
Our two sisters didn't ever bark at all until they were past 11 months and that was only because our other dog barked at a dog he didn't know, that was walking past our house!!! They have never bayed or howled yet, but all of our previous ones used to bay.... a big disappointment as I love the bay of a Basset!!

·
Registered
973 Posts
Sometimes she just sits in the middle of the livingroom and barks at us for no apparent reason other than talking. We carry on a conversation with her until she's said her piece :rolleyes:
Anabelle did this the first few nights we brought her home at about 3 in the morning. We were fast asleep and she would go out into the living room, sit in the pitch black and bark. In fact for the first few months she seemed nocturnal and was up all night. I imagine as a stray she must have rummaged for food at night. Took her quite a while to get used to the normal routine of sleeping in a bed at night. She still wakes up at some point during the night and rummages through everything in the house though.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Roxie is not much of a barker... she will talk occasionally but it's more of a murfle type of noise. She is not a howler either... wish she would. When she does bark/howl it is a rare occasion and her bark/howl is rather unique. I miss the hound dog howl as my inlaws used to have a boy who would howl when the phone rang. Miss that sound so much. Our boy Beau barks (VERY LOUDLY) at the drop of a hat... if he sees someone walk by the house, if he thinks he sees someone walk by the house, if he sees movement out of the corner of his eye... whenever really. As for the puppys... well they only really bark when they are playing so far.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Ellie looks like a sweetie! Gwen only barks when she is playing. She doesn't bark at any noises but will occasionally quietly growl if she hears a noise. Its not a very vicious or scary growl though, haha.

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
Molly barks when she wants to play...with me or the cats. She whimpers when she wants something (outside, up on the sofa). She's only 9 weeks and hasn't found her howl yet, though she almost did in the car on the way to the vet yesterday :)

·
Registered
61 Posts
My old dog Bailey used to bark at the bed as he was stratching at it to get it comfortable. He would scratch and turn in circles and bark for about 30 seconds and then lay down for the night.

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
Stomps was a very vocal dog. He chatted to the neighborhood, and he liked to sing along with me. Lightning is the opposite. He doesn't bark outside unless he's trying to get my attention, and he only barks inside when it's mealtime. He would only sing if Stomps started it. With Stomps gone, I've only heard Lightning sing once, when my answering machine got him going. It's such a beautiful sound, I miss it.

·
Registered
774 Posts
She still wakes up at some point during the night and rummages through everything in the house though.

Ha Ha!! We moved recently and I have woken up several nights to chase Cannoli out of boxes. Other preeds of puppies I've had were opportunist chewers, if you left stuff laying around they'd chew it, but not Cannoli. She actively goes seeking things, actually opens boxes and pulls stuff out.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Mortimer used to never bark. Until we brought little Randolph home. First day, Randolph was trying to sleep and Mortimer was an inch from his face, barking constantly. Since then, there is almost one of them barking in our house. Mortimer only barks when he wants Randolph to play with him, Randolph never shuts up.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts