Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
608 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If any of you dare, take a look at this video :( This type of thing happens day in and day out all over the world to pups and adult dogs who were bred by irresponsible breeders. You can safely assume that when you buy a pup from such a breeder, several of their litter mates will incur the same fate at some stage in their lives. and in effect YOU are partly responsible for this by buying their pups and so encouraging them to breed more victims.

http://www.petatv.com/tvpopup/Prefs.asp?video=yadkin_county (vid clip)

btw, Betsy, Barbara, Aruuu,Biscuit etc, I too think you are " mean "by trying your 'damnest' to educate people on the horrors of irresponsible breeding, in order to end this cruelty. Yeah RIGHT!!!!!! :)

·
Registered
4,902 Posts
You can safely assume that when you buy a pup from such a breeder, several of their litter mates will incur the same fate at some stage in their lives. and in effect YOU are partly responsible for this by buying their pups and so encouraging them to breed more victims.[/b]
A minority of backyard bred dogs remain with their original purchasers. The majority are passed around, find their way into rescues if they're lucky, or end up in shelters, on the wrong end of a needle or worse, as the video demonstrates. I can't imagine that anyone could decide that their one puppy from a backyard breeder is worth the horrible things that will happen to that puppy's brothers and sisters. As sadeyes says, *everyone* who buys from a puppy from a petstore or backyard breeder becomes part of the cycle of cruelty.

·
Registered
284 Posts
OMG :( :angry:

I'm SO upset by watching that.

I recon this clip might help others on this site see exactly what they are encouraging.

BYB and people who buy from them make me SICK

·
Registered
360 Posts
:eek: Oh there's NO WAY I could watch that after reading what it said prior to showing the movie!! I get it ...I'll always rescuce. ALWAYS ...I have two rescues now and when they leave me, I will replace them with rescues. I dearly want a little puppy one day and will do my best to find one to "rescue" rather than buy from an irresponsible breeder.

Hopefully our board will be around (and maybe performing better!!!) when the time comes for me to search for a puppy. I'll put everyone on the case to find one for me!

Sorry. Just can't watch it. :(

·
Registered
79 Posts
I ditto faysie. Whenever there is something that deals with cruelty of any kind, I just can't watch. With Abby being a 10 1/2 year old, I know there will come a time when she makes her final trip to the Bridge and my husband and I have talked about the future with another basset. I tell him that we either find a responsible, reputable breeder or go to a rescue and that's it!! That is one reason I try to go to the Wichita Kennel Dog Show each year and look at the dogs and talk to the owners to get as much information as I can.

·
Registered
3,525 Posts
I didn't click on the link but I didn't need to. It sounds like it has upsetting content and the facts I've learned over the years since adopting Moe are upsetting enough. I know that terrible things are going on involving dogs and I don't support those things in any way (BYB's, puppymills and pet stores that sell dogs). I am not afraid to educate friends or aquaintences about ignorantly "breeding" thier dogs. I can't bear to read about or see such terrible things but I understand that this information goes a long way towards educating people and visuals are very powerful education tools. So sad that it's even necessary...

·
Registered
121 Posts
Just the text intro was enough for me.. I don't think I could ever go back from seeing such a horrible thing, so I stopped the video. I've always loved animals. I just can't watch people kill them. :(

·
Registered
538 Posts
Just the text intro was enough for me.. I don't think I could ever go back from seeing such a horrible thing, so I stopped the video. I've always loved animals. I just can't watch people kill them. :(
[/b]
Oh my GAWD are you saying this video shows dogs being killed??? I didn't click on it because I was too afraid too. Man, if that's the case, I'm sure glad I didn't. I couldn't watch something like that.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Although my daughter bought from a reputable breeder, I have desided come spring (if I can wait that long) it will be from a rescue. There is one half beagle /half Basset that is tugging at my heatrt strings now. He is a rescue from VA, and is living about 10 miles away from me in NJ. They are calling her Rusty,

[attachmentid=152][attachmentid=153] I think she looks like a Bagel! Anyone have this mix of these two breeds of dog, by the way?

That view is probably not close to the worst. I won't go into what happens to cats and dogs in China, as they are part of the human food chain.
All we can do is try to educate others.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
How can those people live with themselves? That right there is why my dogs are rescues and I will continue to rescue in the future. Damn, I am sad, mad, hurt..etc...

~Heather

·
Registered
284 Posts
I agree that byb are crap and that you often end up with sick dogs (been there done that when I didn't know any better) I also only do rescues but I DO NOT trust anything that is from Peta no way no how.

Lou

·
Super Moderator
5,042 Posts
I agree that byb are crap and that you often end up with sick dogs (been there done that when I didn't know any better) I also only do rescues but I DO NOT trust anything that is from Peta no way no how.

Lou
[/b]
I'm with you.....

·
Registered
4,902 Posts
Not quite sure what part of the video you don't believe (did you actually watch it?)...from National Geographic News, Animal Gas Chambers Draw Fire in U.S.
Nearly four million dogs and cats in the United States are put to death in shelters each year.

Carbon monoxide gas chambers—a euthanasia method used since World War II—are routinely used in animal shelters throughout the country, including Rhode Island, Ohio, Texas, and Virginia.[/b]
and
The Euthanasia Process

From start to finish, the process of gassing an animal takes about 25 minutes. One or more animals are placed in an airtight chamber, and a high concentration of bottled carbon monoxide gas is released.

Cats and dogs are rendered unconscious within a minute, then eventually die from lack of oxygen.

Doug Fakkema, an animal-euthanasia expert, said that, in theory, the gas chamber doesn't sound bad, but in reality it's awful.

"The animal is in a warm or hot box, usually with other animals. They don't know what's going on. The hiss of the gas is going on inside. They get dizzy, and they panic," he said. Fights can break out, and animals' calls can sometimes be heard.

Today most private and city animal shelters euthanize animals with sodium pentobarbital, a controlled substance that is injected into one of a dog or cat's veins. Animals die in seconds, experts say, and without pain or suffering.

Private-practice animal hospitals also use sodium pentobarbital to euthanize sick and old family pets.

The American Humane Association (AHA), an animal- and child-welfare nonprofit, says that lethal injection is the only acceptable method for putting down dogs and cats.[/b]

·
Registered
12,947 Posts
Not quite sure what part of the video you don't believe (did you actually watch it?)...from National Geographic News, Animal Gas Chambers Draw Fire in U.S.

and
"Nearly four million dogs and cats in the United States are put to death in shelters each year."[/b]
1. PETA is know to routinely falsify/doctor video to support it claims some real some not. Does not mean gas chambers are not used but it is reasonable to question whether any video supplied by Peta is actually real

2. there has never been a comprehensive survey of the actual number of dogs and/or cats put to death by shelters in America. Estimates vary greatly but this all agree on.
a. the vast majority of euthanised animals are feral cats.
b. No attempt is made to seperate owner reliquished pets for the expressed purpose of free euthanasia.
c. No attempt is made to differentiate adoptable animals for those that are not adoptable due to health/injury or behavoir.

3.Dog overpopulation Myth, THe number of puppies produced in the country equal or is less than the number of people looking for puppies. The Number of dogs in shelters is not because of overpopulation but some of these other reason Owner ignorance populates shelters with abandoned dogs and cats
Early in the 1990s, animal rights activists began campaigns to condemn breeders for the death of dogs and cats in animal shelters. "If you didn't breed, we wouldn't have to kill" the pseudo-logic went. "Every puppy you sell means a shelter dog will die." The Humane Society of the US called for a breeding ban until shelters are empty;

...No more. Coalitions and clubs resisting these proposals have new evidence for their case - a scientific study that identifies owner ignorance of normal pet behavior and low or no acquisition cost as the highest risks for surrender of a family pet and concludes that education will help keep many of those animals out of shelters. Gary Patronek VMD, PhD, one of the principle investigators on the study, presented the results at the NAIA Purebred Rescue Symposium in March. The work was published in the Journal of the American Veterinary Medical Association on August 1, and is corroborated in another study reported in the August 15 issue of the Journal.

Patronek and his Purdue University colleagues concluded that dog owners who pay more than $100 for a dog, take him to a veterinarian more than once a year, and participate in obedience classes are more likely to provide a long-term home for the animal.

...The research was done at the Humane Society of St. Joseph, Mishawaka, Indiana
.5 percent came from pet stores;
3.9 percent from litters produced in the home.
Nearly 20 percent of the surrendered dogs came from a shelter,
About the same number were acquired as strays.
Nearly 41 percent of the surrendered dogs were obtained free from the previous owner[/b]
4. Many all breed shelters are a threat to pet ownership long term
Redefining pet overpopulation: The no-kill movement and the new jet setters
Faced with fewer small dogs and puppies to offer the public, a handful of shelters and organizations have swapped their traditional mission for a new bottom line strategy aimed at filling consumer demands. Simply stated, they have become pet stores. Some are importing stray dogs across state lines and from foreign countries to maintain an inventory of adoptable dogs. Other shelters are misapplying no-kill shelter principles by adopting out seriously ill and bad-tempered dogs. These practices might be well motivated but they create significant new problems for the responsible sheltering community and the public.

... A number of breed rescuers tell us that their local shelters now offer them dogs for placement that should not be adopted. NAIA's experience in fielding calls from people with pet-related problems bears this out. Historically, the majority of calls came from people complaining about dogs they had purchased from irresponsible breeders, commonly called backyard breeders or puppy farms. They wanted information about how to stop puppy mills or how to file consumer complaints. Currently, NAIA also gets calls for help from people who have adopted bad tempered or chronically ill shelter dogs, a phenomenon that almost never occurred as recently as four years ago. [/b]
Importation of foreign stray animals into US shelters threatens health, sustains 'overpopulation'

In many US cities today, campaigns to end 'pet overpopulation' have been so successful that the demand for dogs far outstrips supply. In fact, shelters in many of these cities would have a significant percentage of empty dog runs were it not for the mushrooming practice of moving dogs around from one region to another and from one shelter to another within regions, an activity known somewhat euphemistically as humane relocation.

...According to their own records, one foundation, the Save a Sato 2 program championed by PeTA, has already sent 14,000 dogs to the US. Satos (a slang term for mixed-breed street dogs in Puerto Rico) arrive in US cities practically every day. Dozens of shelters are involved. Some of the shelters NAIA is tracking bring in 100-200 dogs each month and are placing them for $200-$250 each.3

There is another disturbing pattern developing, a trend toward importing progressively younger dogs. Two years ago when NAIA first began researching the issue, the foreign imports depicted on shelter web sites were of varied ages. Today, most of them are puppies. It is easy to speculate that if no one is capturing and altering the illusive strays that produce these orphans, then enterprising rescuers and shelter directors could help developing countries become breeding grounds for stocking US shelters

It is also disturbing to see the animal rights party line being used against breeders to justify importation. The following quote was taken from the web site of the Humane Society of Snohomish County, a Seattle-area importer of dogs from Taiwan.

"By saving Taiwan dogs, we do not feel this takes away from saving a dog at our own shelters. The majority of dogs from Taiwan are small and our own shelters do not have many small dogs. At this time we have over 38 people on our waiting list for small dogs. We feel it is better to bring small dogs in from another part of the world than to have these people going to a breeder.[/b]
Bold added for emphysis many all breed shelter have an anti-breeding bias that is against all breeding resposible or not. THey are importing potential risky dogs. Massachuesetts recently enacted emergency legislation because one such shelter imported a rabid dog. MASSACHUSETTS DEPARTMENT OF AGRICULTURAL RESOURCES ISSUES EMERGENCY ORDER TO STRENGTHEN ANIMAL IMPORT LAWS
New Regulations Necessary to Protect Human and Animal Health The Massachusetts Department of Agricultural Resources (DAR) announced an emergency order today to strengthen the regulations pertaining to animals brought into the Commonwealth from other states. DAR has found that additional requirements are necessary to prevent rescue organizations, shelters and other groups from bringing animals into the state that pose risks to human and animal health. More than 200 rescue and adoption groups are currently relocating animals to Massachusetts for adoption and sale[/b]
Bottom Line is just as there is a distinction between BYB and Responsible breeders there is a disction between responsible shelters and those that are not. for help in determining the difference see
Ethics in rescue, Basic rules of ethical rescue: and Ethical issues confront purebred rescue groups

·
Registered
4,902 Posts
Bottom line, people who buy puppies from backyard breeders and petstores are responsible for the needless killing of companion animals in shelters around the country--pets whose only sin is that there are too many of them and too few good homes. :(

(Ad hominem attacks (e.g., PETA is bad) are one of the more common logical fallacies and constitute inadequate arguments for critical thinkers. Credible argument(s) would address the content of the video, but it currently sounds like almost no one has actually watched it. Oh, well. )

·
Registered
10 Posts
That video made me very upset. My husband and I fell in love with Byron at a pet store and couuldn't leave him. I understand that this perpetutes the cycle. We were very lucky; Byron is a year and a half now and is in perfect health. He is a wonderful dog and it hurts me to think that he might have had the same fate as those poor dogs on the video. God has blessed us wuth Byron and I thank him everyday. We have resolved that our next basset will come from a rescue.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I was speaking with my parents about my first dog. My mother was bitten by a dog as a kid and was terrified, but I had the chance to ask for anything I wanted when I made my 1st communion.
Of all the things in the world I wanted a dog. A collie like Lassie, so I was brought to place that had lots of puppies.
I now know it was a mill breeder, and one that had lots of dogs. I remembeer sitting on the ground, and Ginger came right up to me, licked my face and she was mine. She was 6 weeks old and lived to be 13.
She wasn't a pure bread, and she was $40.00 in 1972, which was alot, but we never knew about the treatment of these poor animals.
I'd like to think that people that buy these dogs, are as blind as we were. It's hard to beleive it in the days of the internet, but if they are thinking of a Basset, think of the information we have provided.
The Breeders are the enemy, ignorance is our job to inform, those that don't know any better.
Be a watch dog and not just a nay sayer to breeders. Put the tapes on the net, tell them the links to learn about the mills.
Let's be those that inform, not just say "Yes, it terrrible"
Sue

1 - 20 of 26 Posts