Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am a new basset owner. Our little girl loves to run and has on two separate occasions in the last few weeks. I am weighing containment options. Please provide me with any information you may have regarding the use and success of invisible fences. I know some see them as inhumane and I can appreciate that. I am not looking to get in to that debate. I am more concerned with any experiences good and bad in using an invisible fence.

Thanks for your feedback.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Invisible fences can work well (for some) to keep dogs in an area, but they do not keep OTHER dogs from entering an area. Also, if the motivation is great enough, I have heard of dogs leaving the invisible fencing area and "playing through the pain". Then, once they have had their fun, they won't pass the line and come back in the yard b/c they don't want to get zapped again.

I think you need to evaluate your own situation and dog and figure out if an invisible fence is right for your family.

(On a personal note, my sister used an invisible fence with her Golden Lab and it worked well -- but her dog was very motivated to please. My own dog, Chloe, would be a dog that would absolutely "play through the pain" if a cat was taunting her or if their was a jerky treat outside of the fenced area!)

Colleen

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
I have invisible fencing and couldn't be happier. I live in the country, and I and most of my neighbors have horses, and every now and then Lightning will break through to get to the horse poop. But that's as far as he goes, and he always comes back. Stomps would never try to cross it. I liked the fact that other dogs could come into the yard, because Lightning and Stomps like to have visitors. However, now Lightning has a stalker (a Jack Russell named Larry), and I do wish I had some way of keeping him out. But overall, I love it. It took my boys about 30 seconds to learn not to cross the fence, and there's no fenceposts to mow around. I give it two thumbs up.

·
Registered
3,525 Posts
I also have an invisible fence and we live in the country. Because our roads are not high traffic I feel it's relatively safe to rely on the fence to contain Moe and Tally. Both, however, HAVE gotten out of the yard on rare occasions. They only go out into the yard when someone is home so I have been almost immediately aware when they have gotten outside the fence. I can tell you I nearly have a stroke when I imagine what COULD happen to them. Our niehgbors all use invisible fence and we all know each others dogs - I had someone knock on my door to tell me about Moe overstepping his boundaries (no shock collar that day) and I have called my neighbors if I have seen thier dogs loose. We all look out for each other. And, like I said, there is little or no traffic on our road. It is also true that invisible fence is no protection from animals who could come into your yard - other dogs, skunks, raccoons, coyotes, etc. Another reason that Moe and Tally are never left outside if nobody is home...

As someone said, some dogs don't do well with an invisible fence. My sister-in-law's siberian husky learned early on that it only hurt for a second and to her it was worth the pain to roam free. It took a while but after ten years or so she was hit by a car. Also, should your dog get out, it may not be able to get back in. Sometimes a dog will run through very spontaneously (say, after a cat) and may not have the same motivation to cross back into the yard.

If I lived on a busier road I would NEVER trust my dog's life (or children's) to an invisible fence - I'd invest in a real fence. You'll need to evaluate your own situation before deciding if it's for you.

·
Registered
773 Posts
We've had IF for a very long time. Charlie is the only hound trained to it now, and it does keep him home. My major concern is that it doesn't keep other critters OUT, but so far that hasn't been a problem. He's only allowed to go out back, where the IF is, during the day. After dark, we only let the dogs in the front yard, which has a physical fence, because I worry about 'things that roam in the night'. Before the front yard was fenced, we would tie the dogs off the porch at night, and keep an eye on them......

·
Super Moderator
5,042 Posts
I would NEVER trust my dogs' safety to an invisible fence. I've known of too many cases where the dogs keep getting out, either through equipment failure or because the dog figures out that all he has to do is take the shock and he's free. And as mentioned above, it does NOT protect your dog from people or animals coming into the yard.

Give me a real fence any time.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts