Basset Hounds Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone used an Invisible Fence with their basset? I am wanting to get one so we don't always have Lily on a leash and she can run free. A real fence is not in the budget yet so that's not an option.

If the training goes well will this keep her in our yard? I heard bassets are very determined when they pick up a scent i'm curious if she would even about the "correction".

She is 10 months and 40 lbs.

Thanks

·
Super Moderator
5,042 Posts
They work for some dogs, but for me they are too unreliable for me to bet my dogs' lives on them.

·
Registered
13,139 Posts
The other problem is fences serve two purposes not just to keep the dog confined but also to keep other dangers and treats away and this is where the invisible fence really comes up lacking. Even if the dog never leaves the yard an inviable fence can not keep the dog safe. IMHO you are better of putting the money for an invisible fence in a fund toward a real one.

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
I have had Invisible Fencing (the real kind, not one of the off-brands), and it has worked wonderfully for me. I live out in the country, and although the dogs had plenty of temptations over the years, the dogs it all worked out. I like that the neighbor's dogs can come visit whenever they want. It doesn't stop other critters from coming in the yard, but frankly neither would a "real" fence. The only thing I don't like about it, and this has more to do with how mine is laid out, is that I can't put Lightning on a leash and take him for a walk. In hindsight I wouldn't have included any of the front yard in the fenced-in part. I love invisible fencing and wouldn't have gone with any other kind.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Lightning&Stomps,
Why are you unable to take your dogs for a walk on a leash? Is it because of the training? Do your dogs believe they will get corrected by the collar? Also which brand did you go with? I have a consultation on Saturday for Invisable Fence the brand.

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
Yes, you're not supposed to try to walk them through a fenceline once they've learned where it is, even with the collar off. You don't want them to know that if they don't have the collar on they won't get corrected. (I leave my collar on Lightning all the time, regardless.) Unless I drove Lightning down the driveway, there was no way to get him from the house past the fenceline. And yes, I have Invisible Fence. They've been great--they replace the collars for free, you can sign up to have batteries delivered to you, and if you have any problem at all, they come out and fix it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts