Basset Hounds Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi I am happy to join this thread. I have 2 basset hounds that are both 3 years old who I love dearly. I got Sniffy my female as a puppy and she is has what appears to be bad separation anxiety. Thankfully I am at home with her most of the time. Hoover is my rescue basset who had been rehomed two times prior to my getting him. I don’t know much about his previous situations. He is very nervous around other dogs, cats, people and any new situations. He paces and barks and is very difficult to handle. He is fine with me and my husband and Sniffy. i would love to have tips on helping not be so anxious. His vet gave him trazadone to help him when he goes for vet visits and other times he is very anxious but I only give it when absolutely needed.
I appreciate any helpful ideas you might
Dog Working animal Liver Collar Dog breed
Dog Dog breed Carnivore Liver Companion dog
Dog Dog breed Working animal Carnivore Liver
Dog Vertebrate Carnivore Liver Mammal

Attachments

·
Registered
13,219 Posts
Counterconditioning and desensitization is the process you need to go through how that plays out with each dog is a bit different

first you need a good understanding of Calming signals because they are stress indicators as well.

. with separation anxiety
1 you want to make departure and arrivals less momentous and predictable which mean changing up routines and wait a few minutes till the dog calms down before greeting it when arriving

2. practice leaving and departing for very short durations.,

3. Depending on the stress level of the dog pharmaceuticals may be required to reduce anxiety to a level where training and behavior modification have a chance of working. beside prescriptions we have had good success with Quiet Moments w/hemp seed It is also good for noise sensitive dog.

4. Soothing Separation Anxiety - SF SPCA
With the other dog you want to introduce the dog to other at considerable distance , a distance that is shows no stress and start rewarding the dog so the present of other dog represent good things are about to happen, over time you decrease distances etc. Cautious Canine is a good little reference on counter conditioning and desensitization, and the specific examples deal with stranger phobias

1 - 4 of 4 Posts