Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All the stars and planets finally lined up and after a more than a year long search to find a "reputable" breeder (an often discussed topic on this forum), and then a wait for the litter to hit the ground in May, I've been blessed with "Pennies from Heaven". Penny came home to live with our family three weeks ago. Warmth and joy has returned to our home. It's wonderful to be greeted by a white tipped wagging tail and floppy ears. Our life is now focused on puppy care and she holds our hearts forever.

We had forgotten how exhausting puppy shenanigans can be. Of course, we are older this time around. Thank goodness, she is sleeping all night in her own bed. (currently on the floor at the foot of the bed). Accepted the crate well, where she spends her daytime hours while we are at work. Family members helping to give breaks during the day. No poops in the house, a little bit of tinkle trouble but getting better. Never messes up the crate. Exploring new surroundings everyday; park, college campus, play ground, meeting neighborhood dogs, conquered car ride anxiety, working on mouthing issues. Chased her first rabbit last week. All in all, a very, very nice pup!

She was well worth the search and the wait. Made new friends along the way. Grateful for such a precious gift....

Her name was seleted as a description of her copper/red color. She truly looks like a copper penny with a little bit of dirt (black) on her face. Turns out her name has come to hold special meaning for all involved in my basset quest. Penny was born on a stormy night. She fills the void left by another hound. Her name provokes fond memories of days gone by. Penny Lane, Magic Penny, Penny Brite, Lucky Penny, and most of all:

"Pennies from Heaven"
A long time ago
A million years Before Christ
The best things in life
Were absolutely free.
But no one appreciated
A sky that was always blue.
And no one congratulated
A moon that was always new.
So it was planned that they would vanish now and then
And you must pay before you get them back again.
That's what storms were made for
And you shouldn't be afraid for
Every time it rains it rains
Pennies from Heaven.
Don't you know each cloud contains
Pennies from Heaven.
You'll find your fortune falling
All over town.
Be sure that your umbrella is upside down.
Trade them for a package of sunshine and flowers.
If you want the things you love
You must have showers.
So when you hear it thunder
Don't run under a tree.
There'll be Pennies from Heaven for you and me. (sung by Bing Crosby)

RIP Lucy Dear.........Thank you for sending Penny to take your place and fill the hole you left in my heart.

Attachments

·
Registered
184 Posts
Aww, what a cutie! congrats on your new puppy :) Puppy antics can be frustrating, but it is sooo worth it when they cuddle up to you!

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
Glad you got what you needed.I say for every one we lose there is one born to fill the hole in our hearts.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
I say for every one we lose there is one born to fill the hole in our hearts.
As a breeder such as yourself, Bubad, it must be a wonderful feeling to know how much love your pups will be providing for their new owners. I can't imagine though, how it must feel to let all the pups go. Will you be keeping any pups out of your litter?

I so much appreciated how much work my breeder put into her pups. I hope the prospective owners of your pups do too!

To all our Basset.net friends,Thanks for the warm welcome to Penny and all the compliments about my fine pup.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
She is a beautiful girl! Congrats on your new addition, and I bet that Lucy is looking down and wagging her tail in approval.

·
Registered
517 Posts
Penny is a beautiful pupper and will grow into one gorgeous hound! She has that look about her that will have you trained in no time at all. Love her name -- she does look like a Penny From Heaven. Welcome Miss Penny happy your here to join in the fun:) with the rest of us non-spoiled brats:rolleyes::rolleyes:!

·
Registered
437 Posts
What a heart touching story....welcome Penny...mama waited for you for so long....and I am sure that her little spirit was "paw" picked just for you.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts