Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone! I am now proudly owned by a basset! I've always wanted a basset so when I heard that there was a seizure of 23 basset hounds from a local home I was quick to visit at the shelter. It was an animal hoarding situation where the dogs where never left outside for three years! You can imagine the horror and mess these poor dogs lived in. Our new baby, Daisy, became a mother to 5 puppies in that house about 6 months ago. All her puppies and most of her housemates found new homes. It took a month and three shelter visits for the whole family to come together and agree to let me adopt our third dog and finally have my basset :) Luckily Daisy was still there to steal my heart.

It's been three days here with her at home alongside our black lab, Luna and our Pomeranian, Koti. Daisy is doing so well at settling in! She already has been nicknamed "Lazy Daisy" as she is perfectly happy just keeping the couch warm.

I'm glad I found this site to make basset loving friends and come for help with the inevitable issues we will have over the years. For now, she's doing great considering all the changes she's been through. We are currently working on stopping the counter surfing, table climbing, and trashcan diving. Getting ready to sign up for manner classes here soon.

So, hopefully I'll get to know everyone here soon!

Thanks!
Christie

Our daughter and daisy reading a story while we did our adoption paperwork.

Attachments

·
Registered
973 Posts
She is a doll. I'm so glad you've taken her in. I'm sure you'll have a great time with her.

·
Registered
12,947 Posts
we are currently working on stopping the counter surfing, table climbing, and trashcan diving.
Basset were bred to hunt for food and they do so whether the food is four legged and living or already processed. As is well document the closer a behavioral is to natural/instinctual behavior the harder it is to eliminate. In the case of a basset hound that has had previous reinforcement for counter surfing and dumpster diving the likelihood yoiu can effectively change the behavior is remote. Management is generally the best solution. ie nothing lefts on the counters, Trash secured away from the dog etc.

Instictive Drift
When instinctive behavior is reinforced by the trainer, even inadvertently, it can become very strong very fast, and very difficult to extinguish later on.

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
Glad you are here. I think Daisy was from the seizure in the Chambersburg area.She is probably happy to be out of that situation.Good Luck.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Daisy at Home

That sure is a beautiful story and so good to see such a beautiful basset getting what they all deserve - a loving home and family. Love the photo - she sure looks 'at home' to me and your daughter looks pretty comfortable with Daisy right behind her which is where I imagine she will be for many years to come. Welcome to a better life Daisy - so happy for you that you have found one another and may you enjoy many wonderful years together.;)

·
Registered
761 Posts
Yay! Good on you for rescuing her! She's a beauty and you'll have tons of fun with her in the years to come. Congratulations!

·
Registered
209 Posts
So glad Daisy now has the loving home she deserves, she is beautiful! Best of luck on "manner school" bassets are stubborn creatures and from what it sounds like that was her known way to survive in her former "home". As MikeyT says best to keep all on counters pushed back to the walls and garbage up on something (I put mine on top of the dryer in the kitchen/laundry).

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Wow thanks everyone for such a warm welcome! She's been wonderful so far. She is happier to please than I imagined she would be and we are all just enjoying the heck out of her! We got a tall baby gate to block off the kitchen so that solves that.

@Bubbad...she was part of the Chambersburg seizure. She had one of the two litters they showed on the news (the older puppies).

I will get more pics up but they may all just be her sleeping...that's what she does best.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Your Basset is adorable! Good luck with the training. Eliminating the act and training your basset to not get into those things you mentioned is definitely something that can be accomplished! Just because a Basset is stubborn, does not mean they are untrainable. It just means that it takes extra time and patience.

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
Congrats and welcome! Daisy is a pretty girl, and the picture of her and your daughter is adorable.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Welcome to you and Daisy!

She's lovely and lucky to have found you.

You're wonderful to have had the patience to work through the adoption program and lucky to have found Daisy!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks! We don't mind the adoption process, it's so worth it and I think more people should screen in the same way, even breeders. I've had so many positive experiences with rescue dogs and so prefer watching an older dog find the love and safety they've been missing their whole life to a puppy. Not that I don't search and seek out puppy breath every chance I get via my friends and family :)

Oh BTW. I started a facebook page for those who adopted these bassets from the seizure. If you come across anyone that has one of these bassets or just want to follow the stories here is the link... http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Rescued-Basset-Hounds-from-CVAS/195249593843083

1 - 18 of 18 Posts