Basset Hounds Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi i am new and im glad i found this site to talk about bassets because ive bored everyone i know with constantly talking about them :)

Monty is my first dog ive got since i moved out of my parents. Ive owned a collie, a lab and a very hyper retreiver before. I was desperate for a dog as i missed the company and i find walking with a dog very relaxing. I have been ill for a few years and the one thing that always lifted me was my dogs, so i finally got one of my own. I never thought of a basset hound, i was origonally looking for a small dog but had never had any small dogs and didnt really know much about them and ive always been more of a big chunky dog type person. but my dad had owned a basset hound as a child and said they were brilliant. So off i went and obbsessivley researched them and got very obbsessed. I saved up and kept an eye out and finally i found a breeder (i live in Northern Ireland and ive never seen anyone else with a basset hound apart from at a country fair-so theyre rare here).

In these pics which i hope do show up(not very savvy with uploads sorry) he is only 9 weeks, i think he is big for 9 weeks. The retreiver is my other dog Bailie who lives at my parents. Id love it if he was big, heavy and drooled(strange but i love dogs like that-even when they sit on you). The vet said he was going to be a big boy, his paws are huge and he has big chunky bones. he is 3 months old now and I love having him, he is quite a challenge at times but i cant stay mad at him for very long.

Sorry this was a long post i ramble a bit lol, i look forward to obbsessing over bassets with you all :)

kerrie

Attachments

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
Welcome, Monty! Indeed, you are quite a handsome fellow. Beautiful coloring!

In reference to his paws, I think most of them have big paws. I think.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Welcome Monty, Bailee (it's OK that you are not a Basset) and Kerrie!

We are all a little obsessed with the long eared, short legged, slobbery, affectionate attention hounds here so you'll fit right in!

·
Registered
972 Posts
That's really a nicely proportioned and beautiful basset! Where did you get him? He looks like he's going to be a big boy! Things i learned with my basset puppy: be careful with their heavy front end weight on their front legs while they're growing...no big jumping and minimal stairs.
As he gets older (they grow sooo fast up to about 6-7 months..changes are daily!) he will naturally try to put on more weight. Though chunky dogs are cute (i love fat animals *LMAO*) it's sooooo much more healthy for them, and their joints to keep that belly trim.
Start brushing his teeth early (prevents heart disease...we do it nightly on ours) and for heaven's sake enjoy the time with him. They grow soo fast! OH and let him sleep in bed with you *LOL* i let mine in! hehehe
You're going to do great and i love how cute he is!

And oh yeah....please post tons of pictures! Go to "quick links" then albums and add one. I want to see how that black head turns brown! or if it does!!

·
Registered
761 Posts
Welcome to the forum! You've definitely come to the right place for obsessing over our droppy, drooly friends. And Monty is absolutely adorable! Please post more pictures as he grows.

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
Welcome Kerrie and Monty!

You'll often find us bragging and going on about our hounds lol, you've come to the right place.

We love pictures so share as often as you can :)

·
Registered
85 Posts
Welcome Monty and Kerrie! Such a handsome basset you got there. I've noticed bassets with black coloring on their face have deep stares. Mine just look droopy all the time :D

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
jaleely, i've got this weird feeling that most folks here let their bassets sleep in the bed with them. my first couple nights with my new fam they stuck me in the crate at night. the CRATE. I showed them by barking all night long. Finally she human scooped me up and dropped me into the california king and I slept all night. bassets and cats have staff, not owners...

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
Esther, I slept in a crate for a long time; momma wanted me to come to bed, but daddy said NO! Then one night I surprised momma by hopping into bed with her because daddy caved. I don't know what caved means, but I like sleeping in bed between momma and dad, it's warm.

·
Registered
767 Posts
Welcome Monty. Good luck Kerrie with your new master. Maggie, Daisy, & Yogi all sleep in our California king.

·
Registered
13,077 Posts
if you have not done so already I would do a search on two subjects that IMHO are the most important things to guarantee a successful transition from puppy to adult that you can live with and surprisingly house training is actual third on that list

1. bite inhibition

2. socialization

both of these are only successfully done when the dog is still a puppy. There are quite of few past thread with links and discussions on these two subjects.

·
Registered
761 Posts
jaleely, i've got this weird feeling that most folks here let their bassets sleep in the bed with them. my first couple nights with my new fam they stuck me in the crate at night. the CRATE. I showed them by barking all night long. Finally she human scooped me up and dropped me into the california king and I slept all night. bassets and cats have staff, not owners...
Our pups only sleep with me when our weird drug-user of a neighbor stops by during the day and my husband is working nights. Luckily he (the neighbor) hasn't stopped by in a long while. But for the most part the dogs sleep in their kennels. They like their kennels.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts