Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5,249 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Lady, the lovely and gigantic German Shepherd girl, passed on over the weekend. It didn't come as a surprise - she was an ancient girl - but we miss her terribly. Although I'm convinced she's now haunting us - :D Eg, she had become not completely incontinent (she still did her outdoor duties when she remembered), but close, and yesterday, I came home and saw a doggie poop where she last lay - I could even smell it! So I went and gathered up my doggie poop cleaning up materials ... and I came back ... and the poop was gone! :D

In any case, Yogi is just devastated, but there is a lovely little coonhound mix named Bailey at the vet's which I will be adopting, come Friday. She's a lovely girl, albeit small. The vet says she's part red bone, which, yes, she certainly looks like. But she's something else - something small.

I've introed her and Yogi, and she loves Yogi, and Yogi didn't *hate* her. She's an extremely pleasant girl and would make a wonderful hostess, as she has the "Well! I'm so pleased to meet you! Won't you have a seat?" thing down pat.

But it's been so long since I've brought a new pup home that I don't remember how to go about it. Biscuit and Yogi already knew Lady when I adopted her, and it's been 10 years since I adopted Yogi. !.

She's 9 months, so has some seasoning already. And I'm bringing her home Friday so I can spend the weekend with them while they get acquainted.

Hints? Tricks? Etc.?

·
Registered
2,558 Posts
I haven't done doggie introductions in a long time either, so I'll leave it up to the more recently experienced to give advice. Congratulations on Bailey!

Mostly, I wanted to say that I'm truly sorry that Lady has passed.She lead a long happy life with you, so I know that will give you some comfort. I'm sure she's running with Biscuit now ! Peace.

·
Registered
773 Posts
I'm so sorry to hear of Lady's passing. I know you were not surprised, but it still doesn't make it easy.

As far as intros, this is what I did: have someone other than you hold the new dog's lead. Bring the 'old' dog to meet the new one, on neutral territory (we go to the town common, which is a short walk from our house). Once intros have been made and the dogs seem to be getting along, we swap leads, me on the new dog, someone else on the 'old' dog(s). By the time we made the short walk back to the house, all was well, and the 'old' dogs showed the new one all the most important stuff: toy basket, fridge, couch, etc. ;) . I wouldn't leave them unsupervised until you're certain that they're getting along all right. It doesn't take long for something to get out of hand.

Your new hound sounds wonderful. I'm sure Lady would approve!

·
Registered
144 Posts
I too am sorry to hear of Lady's passing. It's never easy no matter how old they get.

This summer some family came to visit with their two dogs - a Golden and a Lab, who can be kind of a tough guy. Another relative was there with his Wheaten Terrier who was about 1 years old, as is our Baxter. We also have a 151/2 year old Lab, and a 6 year old Lab mix. Not knowing if we'd have all kinds of problems since these dogs had not met before, we decided to take them all on a very long walk together. It worked! From growling when they left to playing together when they returned. I guess it was being together in neutural territory that did the trick.

Good luck with the new pooch!

·
Registered
5,249 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Great tips! Thanks!

As soon as I can, I'll get pics of her up. She's a *very* sweet girl!

·
Registered
5,249 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ooooh, thanks, Mike!

I pick the little darlin' up tomorrow on my way home from work and am trying now to plan for The Meeting. They've already met, so it's not an introduction really. But it's a - well, I can't remember the word. :blink: In any case, this info will come in handy.

Yogi is absolutely devastated and so, so lonely for a little friend. I'm excited he'll have such a nice girl to play with. If all goes well, he'll be excited, too.

·
Registered
3,525 Posts
So sorry about Lady's passing. :( Congrats on aquiring little Baily. You are a veteran dog-person - you'll do fine!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts