Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone!

I'm new here - I can't believe I haven't found this place before.

I'm a Brit living in OKC who happens to love Basset Hounds. I have a 5 year old girl called Daisy.

In 4 days Daisy will get a new sister (Ethel - another Basset) who will be 7 weeks old. I'm curious if you have any advice on introducing the 2 dogs to each other? Daisy is a typical Basset - extremely sweet and funny. She has never showed any aggressive tendencies at all and gets along with all dogs.

I apologize if the question has been answered somewhere else in the forums - I had a poke around but couldn't find anything.

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
2,325 Posts
Hi and Welcome!

I am not a behavior expert (we have them here) Just a basset mom.

I had no problem introducing 7 yo Jake to his new baby sister Abby.

I introduced them in our living room which is a good size space so he never was "cornered" by this obnoxious ball of energy. They did fine. We had our occasional growls and snaps when Abby was pushing him too far and wanted to be let alone.

I also made a point to give Jake a little extra attention so he wouldn't feel overshadowed by the attention Abby was getting.

Its been two years and they are still doing great, play together, miss the other and howl when one "gets" to go somewhere alone :)

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi and Welcome!

I am not a behavior expert (we have them here) Just a basset mom.

I had no problem introducing 7 yo Jake to his new baby sister Abby.

I introduced them in our living room which is a good size space so he never was "cornered" by this obnoxious ball of energy. They did fine. We had our occasional growls and snaps when Abby was pushing him too far and wanted to be let alone.

I also made a point to give Jake a little extra attention so he wouldn't feel overshadowed by the attention Abby was getting.

Its been two years and they are still doing great, play together, miss the other and howl when one "gets" to go somewhere alone :)
Hi Jnfr! Thanks for the quick feedback!

That's good to hear! I'm glad you made a point about giving Jake some extra attention - I've been worrying about that. Looks like Daisy is in for a lot (more) belly rubs.

Sometimes when Daisy is tearing around the house, running in circles and generally acting the fool I wonder what we're letting ourselves in for with adding another maniac to the pack!

·
Registered
460 Posts
:) you will indeed wonder what on earth possessed you for wanting two

They will exhaust you

And eventually you will love it

Lots of attention for the elder of the pack, for sure :)

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
:) you will indeed wonder what on earth possessed you for wanting two

They will exhaust you

And eventually you will love it

Lots of attention for the elder of the pack, for sure :)
:lol:

Oh brother. I'll keep you guys updated for sure - I'm sure I'll have a bunch of OMG moments/questions!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Oh my gosh! You are the only other person besides myself that I have seen on here that is from Oklahoma! I am also getting a puppy this week and am very excited. He will be 7 weeks as well. Funny coincidences! Good luck with your new one and sorry I have no advise! lol :)

·
Registered
767 Posts
Just curious as to why 7 weeks? I know they use to say a minimum of 6 weeks but now many believe at least 8 weeks or more.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Nothing to offer regarding advice to the thread. Just wanted to say "Pictures, please?" to both Shifty and Elvishound....

Love puppy pics!

·
Registered
653 Posts
Welcome Shifty, We lovew pictures of the hounds--so we CAN get top know them. good luck. No advice because Norman is my only basset. But I will be pasing attention, because I would to get another one.

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
How exciting for you....generally, Bassets love the company of other dogs....and yes, in the beginning you probably will be pulling your hair out but the enjoyment factor will be so great that you'll never notice. Please keep us updated and post those pics.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Oh my gosh! You are the only other person besides myself that I have seen on here that is from Oklahoma! I am also getting a puppy this week and am very excited. He will be 7 weeks as well. Funny coincidences! Good luck with your new one and sorry I have no advise! lol :)
That is funny - what a strange co-incidence! We're getting our hound from a farm out near Purcell. Absolutely crazy place where Bassets hang out with goats and horses, where one-eyed chickens chase cats...it's brilliant!

Dreamons - no real reason for the 7 week deal apart from that was when it was convenient.

Our current Basset is a rescue - we got her when she was insanely young (phone call from wife - "they've found a Basset puppy at a puppy mill and if we don't take her today then they will put her down") - I think Daisy was 4 or 5 weeks when we took her in. The thing I was amazed with it only took us about 2 months to housebreak her. Then again, I worked from home back then so I spent a lot of time with her.

I digress - thanks for the warm welcome and words of encouragement, everyone!

This is a pic I took of Daisy a few weeks ago. She is a sun-worshipper...this is pre-nap:

...and full-nap:

And, an image you all should be familiar with - kitchen floor, begging for scraps:

And here is her new sister, Ethel. To be honest, picking a pup was a nightmare since they're all so stinking cute and nothing but trouble.

·
Registered
12,906 Posts
puppy have something called puppy license which lets then get away with just about anything without a response from an adult till round the age of 16-20 week when that all chages. A dog that sows an illtolerance to young puppies is demonstrating a sever temperament flaw and one even in maladjusted dogs is not that common. So for that reason intruducing a puppy to an adult dog is hardly ever a problem but follow adut v adult introduction guidline is nonetheless good adive. ie introduce on nueral territory, let the dog approach at their own accord and pace etc.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
puppy have something called puppy license which lets then get away with just about anything without a response from an adult till round the age of 16-20 week when that all chages. A dog that sows an illtolerance to young puppies is demonstrating a sever temperament flaw and one even in maladjusted dogs is not that common. So for that reason intruducing a puppy to an adult dog is hardly ever a problem but follow adut v adult introduction guidline is nonetheless good adive. ie introduce on nueral territory, let the dog approach at their own accord and pace etc.
Thanks Mikey. I've read about that - good advice. My plan (although this may not be my wife's!) is to get her and my son to pick the pup up, while I play and walk Daisy to get some of the energy out of her. I hear that low-energy meetings are the way to go!

·
Registered
471 Posts
I cant give any more advice than you have already been given, but Ethel is a most awsome name for a Basset. I adopted a gal In November who was called Sally Sue, then Flash in rescues, but I call her Ethel, Ethel the Pickle, Pickle or Pix.

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
Since your first basset is a girl she may take a "Mom's Attitude" with the puppy ,which may seem harsh at times ,allow them to work this out.At 7 weeks the new puppy is going to push the limits, alot. Puppy license is the puppy being allowed to get away with much more than another dog would usually put up with,so there will some confliction sooner or later. Since the puppy is so young you need to teach the puppy time out in a crate ,to give your dog a break, and don't be surprised if the puppy does not housetrain as quickly,she may ,but in all likelyhood it will take longer.

·
Registered
2,325 Posts
OMG, I am truly a sucker for "baby pictures".

In my opinion, bassets are so laid back and such a "pack" animal. I think any into will do fine!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks everyone for the advice, well wishes and feedback on the pictures/names!

Tomorrow will be interesting for sure! I'll make sure I take pics of the introduction and post them here - I am actually just leaving work for home so I can go puppy-proof the house. Well, I guess nothing is truly puppy-proof. ;)

1 - 20 of 26 Posts