Basset Hounds Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
973 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, yesterday Anabelle jumped off the couch and yelped and was acting terrible and yelping since so I took her in to the vet today. The vet immediately noticed that she wouldn't pick up her head and took x-rays and found that she had intervertebral disc disease. I'm not a medical expert but I guess at a part of the spine in her neck there was calcification.

She had a pain patch put on her, and also is on another pain med and a muscle relaxant.

Anyway, as I understand this is a common problem in low breeds including bassets so I wanted to see if anyone has dealt with this before.

The vet told us to make sure she has steps and ramps to everywhere and that if she has problems getting up, moving, or placing her feet on the ground to immediately take her for emergency vet care.

·
Registered
973 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Chiropractor is a great idea; I didn't realize there were vets out there that did it for dogs though I probably should've known better. I will have to see if I can get a recommendation for one in DFW.

We get to go shopping today for a harness. She recommended we not use a collar anymore when walking her so we won't jerk her neck around. Though I don't plan to walk her for a few weeks, but we may have to take her in for a follow up exam.

·
Registered
973 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So far she has been completely zonked out, only getting up to eat and sniff around in the backyard for a minute or two. Our other dog is being great, too. He just lays next to her bed.

·
Registered
973 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Anabelle is doing much better today. She is still in some noticeable pain but is in good spirits.

·
Registered
973 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
She seems to have a pattern of good day, bad day, good day, bad day. We are keeping up meds for another week before we're going to try taking her off them. I think she is getting overconfident on good days which is what's causing the bad days. On a good day she is back to normal and we try to keep her confined and sleeping, sometimes have to lock the dog door to keep her inside. On bad days she's okay as long as she's laying down but getting her to lay down can be very hard. It hurts for her to make the motion of laying down so she will stand or sit there for hours. Usually I can put on music and put a hot rag on her neck to make her feel good enough to lay down again.

On a happy note I did come across a great comfy Cesar Millan harness at Petco that's the "step-in" kind so it won't bother her neck. I haven't seen it anywhere online so I got lucky. And it matches the leash she already has. Harley will inherit her collar.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.