Basset Hounds Forum banner

Favorite basset color!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was looking through some basset breeders online in the past few days and I noticed a few interesting varieties. I really liked the looks of the mahogany bassets, does anybody have one? I also saw a picture of a long-haired basset. Finally, how often is it that a litter of puppies will have more than one color morph in it? I saw a couple breeders advertising litters with both tri-colored and lemon-colored pups.

Also, I guess we can have polls in our questions now? Or maybe its always been that way and I have never noticed. I tried one, let's see how it works.

·
Registered
111 Posts
My Miss Daisy is actually a two tone...White and Red (mahogany). I have had tri-colors. they are all great with their given colors.

Many Howls,
Miss Daisy and her driver, Fritz

·
Registered
12,957 Posts
Finally, how often is it that a litter of puppies will have more than one color morph in it[/b]

It depends on the coat color of the Dam and Sire. In general Tri is the dfominate gene expression so there can be lurk unseen a lot of less dominate trates. so Tri will produce the most mix colors. Red& white bred to red & white, produce red * white though it is possible for a lemon to show up. Even the amount of white (open) a dog is has a gentic component if you are more interest in the fentic of coat color I sugest. Genetics of Coat Color and Type in Dogs which includes main typed not even in the basset repretoire like merle. You also find that there is much still not knowm

If you are interesten in why it is the tip of the muzzle. the feet, tip of the tail chest and or belly that are the areas that if a dog is to have white where it will occur amd why most domesticated animals have more white on the body then wild conterparts see Mutations in Melanocyte Distribution
Pigment cells also migrate to the brain, to areas such as the substantia nigra (part of the midbrain that regulates mood, produces dopamine, and controls voluntary movement), the locus ceruleus (part of the brain that deals with the stress response) as well as other areas such as the leptomeninges (membranes surrounding the brain), the dorsal root ganglia, and the cranial ganglia. The failure of pigment cells to reach these areas can have a wide variety of effects, such as a movement disorder (e.g. seizures), and diverse effects on behavior and the individual's response to stress.

Pigment cells are therefore implicated in areas of the brain related to mood and the stress response. This connection between depigmentation and behavior probably played a role in animal domestication. By selecting for tameness, breeders selected for a different pigment cell migration in the developing nervous system, leading to calmer animals. A side effect of this selection for behavior was the change in pigment cell migration in the skin, leading to a piebald coat. Piebaldness and associated docility are found in many different domesticated species (horses, cows, dogs, cats, birds). In fact, selection of wild animals for tame behavior leads to depigmented areas on the fur, as shown in foxes (Belyaev 1979, Trut 1999) and rats (Trut et al. 1997). Note, however, that if depigmentation is extreme, the animal may have neurological impairments (Grandin 1998][/b]

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I just want everyone to know that the poll shows what you voted for if you vote after the software change for the site. I set the poll up before the change and don't remember any option to make the poll anonymous. I don't imagine anyone will care but thought people should be aware that their names will show up next to their favorite colors before they vote. Hopefully there's a way to make polls anonymous now that the software has changed.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I voted tri...

Hi everyone, I'm new here, and had to jump right in and converse with you all.Tri color is all I've ever owned...total of 4...maybe the next one will be a red and white...but when I find a breeder, it will all depend on which one wants to come home with me. I say this cause my last 2 came right up to me from the liter, and chose me...both were the best I have ever owned, if you can truley own a basset, isn't it visa-versa?;)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts