Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys I need your expert advice AGAIN!!!

Lexie started her period of being on heat saturday evening. so i told my friend at work - who replied "have her injected - it will take it away". now my question is this - is it save?
more than 24 hours have passed - is this a problem?
can we still have her "fixed" after this injection? please forgive my english - obviously my home language is afrikaans.

Many thanks,
Simone.

·
Super Moderator
5,042 Posts
I am not an expert on the subject of preventing heat, but as I understand it the injection/pill needs to be given BEFORE she comes into season. I also think that these shots may possibly lead to other problems.

My suggestion is to simply watch her very carefully and keep her isolated for the next three weeks, then have her spayed once her season is over.

There are also abortion shots if you think she has been bred, but these are also likely to have negative side effects (such as uterine infection).

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
As far as I have read once estrus has begun there isn't anything you can do. Two products I'm aware of Ovo-ban and Checque drops are no longer available in the US except maybe at a compounding pharmacy. I do think it's best not to fool mohter nature. Here is a website with information on the products used to prevent estrus: Estrus Cycle Control

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys...

I decided not to give the injection as the vet said it causes cancer etc etc...but wow its not a walk in the park...she gets excited A LOT!!! and then it's really bad...any tips??? I had to clean floors last night at 23:00 and the smell oh man...I love her so - please don't get me wrong. It's just my first girly dog of my own...

·
Registered
773 Posts
My only suggestion is to get through this -- then have her spayed.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi all her heat is still here - this saturday it will be 2 weeks - and the color is almost black is this normal??? and the smell is unthinkable...

we haven't had a girlie dog - so please help me...

·
Registered
773 Posts
Between the color and the odor, I would get her to the vet ASAP. She could have an infection.

·
Super Moderator
5,042 Posts
I agree

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
Cyberhound is not the first place you should come when you're dealing with a likely infection. Call your vet! By the time someone reads your post and answers, you could have a very sick or even dead dog. Uterine infections can be deadly and often require that the bitch be spayed.

Maybe one of the breeders here could suggest a good book on breeding for the beginner.

Hope your girl is okay.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hi Barbara, I did phone the vet on Sunday first thing - just wanted to know if you had experienced the same thing with your bassets. The vet said this was normal although when Lex had Pano- she said that she had never seen it in a basset. So when I previously asked all you wise Basset lovers about the Pano and lots of people replied - our Bassets have all had Pano.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Obviously your vet doesn't see many basset hounds. Pano in bassets is very common. As for the color and amount of blood during heat cycles, it can vary greatly. As has already been suggested, when in doubt take her to your vet. Don't wait. The money you save waiting for someone to respond could cost you the life of your basset. Spaying your female is the best thing you could do for her and you as well.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts