Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have not changed what I feed my dogs much over the years but I have noticed that the kibble size of dry dog food seems to be getting smaller and smaller. I can understand that the makers want to appeal to the widest variety of dogs, including miniatures, but don't our big dogs just seem to lap up rather than crunch this kibble? I thought one benefit of dry kibble was that the crunching/chewing helped keep the teeth clean? Also, I just got some Diamond Lamb & Rice to see if Henry liked it (he does), but the kibble is so small and flat he sometimes gets one down the wrong path or just stuck somewhere in his throat or teeth. Canidae is also a very small though rounded pellet. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
331 Posts
I have not changed what I feed my dogs much over the years but I have noticed that the kibble size of dry dog food seems to be getting smaller and smaller. I can understand that the makers want to appeal to the widest variety of dogs, including miniatures, but don't our big dogs just seem to lap up rather than crunch this kibble? I thought one benefit of dry kibble was that the crunching/chewing helped keep the teeth clean? Also, I just got some Diamond Lamb & Rice to see if Henry liked it (he does), but the kibble is so small and flat he sometimes gets one down the wrong path or just stuck somewhere in his throat or teeth. Canidae is also a very small though rounded pellet. Any thoughts?[/b]
Running a 'petsmart' like store ourselves, we sell kibble in different sizes according to the dog size. Most brands have varieties for 'small dogs', 'Middle Large', 'Large' and 'Giant' and the kibble is sized accordingly. I'm talking about brands like Eukanuba, Pro-Plan, Hills,....
I suspect you're store has only one kind of the kibble you buy. Ask them if the brand you buy has different sizes and order them if necessary.

Greetz

Patrick

1 - 2 of 2 Posts