Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Cooter has started to drool excessively lately. I noticed it a few days ago. There were drool patches on the bed where he was laying. Then last night, there was drool hanging from his mouth, down the couch, and collecting in a pool on the floor! Now, he does drool, but not like this. Could it be because of the cold? Are there any medical conditions I should be aware of, or signs to be watching for? Nothing else seems different, but YUCK! Just wondering if this is something to deal with, or be concerned about!

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Please, please, please someone can you give me some info? I'm reading about bloat and seizures and am totally freaking out!!! Cooter has been eating normally, expelling normally, perhaps drinking a little more, but not excessively, his energy level and temperment are the same... I'm just hoping this is nothing. Should I call the vet?

·
Registered
494 Posts
I've noticed as Shyla gets older that she is drooling a lot more. Its gross!

G

·
0 Posts
When's the last time Cooter had his teeth checked? He might have a bad tooth. I've had bassets that never missed a meal or passed up a chewy, but did have tooth problems. Extra drooling (along with bad breath) was a clue to get them in for a check-up.

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Cooter's last check up was summer. Also went to the groomers in fall and had teeth brushed. The vet didn't seem worried with that being the only symptom. I'll check him over real good tonight.

·
Registered
4,902 Posts
From Excessive Drooling
most drooling dogs have some kind of irritant in their mouth...probably the most common reason I see for drooling is a bad tooth/teeth.
So if the drooling persists, it sound like a vet visit would be a good idea.

Many other conditions can also cause or be associated with excessive drooling. From The 5-Minute Veterinary Consult, these include:</font>
  • <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
Betsy mentions insecticides in her post; Roady had excessive drooling from flea spray. For some reason he was hypersensitive to it and would drool so much his feet and chest were completely soaked.

My philosophy is when in doubt, check it out. Sometimes a phone call to your vet will be sufficient.

Keep us posted.

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I checked Cooter last night, and saw nothing wrong. He wasn't drooling last night!!! I did find an old outside ashtray that had been dragged out, over-turned, etc. Perhaps he got a mouth full of cig. butts, and that caused the drooling. I'll keep an eye on him though, to be sure it doesn't happen again. I did get concerned reading about bloat, but it's always good to know the symptoms! Thanks everyone for your input and concern, all seems well now!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts