Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Lucy is 1 year and a few months. Twice this month she has wet her bed. I know she is not doing it on purpose because she ALWAYS tells us when she needs out, but she is doing it in her sleep. Is she old enough to have incontinence problems? I read a back post about females that are spayed having a similar problem - she is spayed. What else should I look for symptom wise so I can tell the vet? Or is this just a phase of some sort?
Thanks!

[ January 26, 2004, 09:59 AM: Message edited by: Lucy & Huck ]

·
Registered
4,902 Posts
First, have your vet evaluate her for a possible urinary tract infection. Less common causes can be considered after this, if necessary.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Betsy -
She got checked for a UTI mid-day and everything was fine. The vet is going to put her on "proin" (spelling?) which will hopefully stop her from going in her sleep by tightening her sphincter.

·
Registered
4,902 Posts
Glad to hear she doesn't have a UTI. Here's a webpage that discusses phenylpropanolamine (Pro-in). An interesting discussion of possible drug interactions includes the following.
Phenylpropanolamine should not be used with L-Deprenyl (Anipryl) due to resulting unpredictable fluctuations in blood pressure. It is recommended that phenylpropanolamine be withdrawn for 2 weeks preceding the use of L-Deprenyl.

An increased risk of hypertension can also occur if phenylpropanolamine is given in conjunction with tricyclic antidepressants (such as amitryptilline), NSAIDS (such as aspirin), or amitraz (active ingredient of the Preventic tick control collar).
L-Deprenyl is used to treat Cushing's Disease and Canine Cognitive Dysfunction (doggie senility).

[ January 26, 2004, 06:20 PM: Message edited by: Betsy Iole ]

·
Registered
12,937 Posts
Proin is the only form of PPA now available for compounding and ussually works real well for spay incontinence. Spay incontinence ussually develops in older dogs and a dog as young as 1 it is not common. That said both the female beagle bitchs that I live with developed spay incontinence at approximately the age of 2.

Phenylpropanolamine and Your Dog

Vetinfo.com
"The compounding pharmacy we work with has not been able to find a source for phenylpropanolamine since the FDA removed the product from the market for human use. This product is available in a provisionally approved formulation for dogs under the brand name Proin ™, though. We have not had any problem obtaining this product through our veterinary companies. It comes in a chewable tablet in 25 and 50mg sizes (I think they might also have a 75mg size) and in a liquid that is 25mg/ml. Since this is an approved proprietary product, the price is higher than the generics that were available prior to the FDA ban, though."

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
I had a bitch with a "pelvic bladder" which resulted in leakage of urine while sleeping. This was an abnormal positioning of the bladder, and was diagnosed using dye and serial radiographs. She was just over a year when this became symptomatic and not spayed. Fortunately the incontinence did resolve. There was an article in 1983 about the "pelvic bladder" in the J Am Vet Med Assoc. What I found interesting was that it occurred in both male and female dogs. I wonder if the reason bassets are difficult to housetrain could be attributed to an anatomical abnormality such as a pelvic bladder? Just a thought. ;)

There are a lot of reasons for "incontinence." Probably one of the most common reasons is the dog actually wasn't completely housebroken.

Hope the Pro-in does the trick. Please keep us posted.

Here's a great article on the subject:

The Leakers: Disorders of Micturition and Continence by Melissa S. Wallace, DVM, Dipl. ACVIM

[ January 26, 2004, 11:14 PM: Message edited by: Barbara Winters ]

·
Registered
5,249 Posts
Well, of course, I have to chime in.

If this does turn out to be spay incontinence and the medication doesn't completely resolve the problem, it's a fairly liveable situation.

The Perfectly Gigantic German Shepherd Girl Lady has spay incontinence. I made her bed out of an old sleeping bag, a very good quality one, but old. The filling is highly absorptive and the covering easily washed.

I wash it all the time. :)

I also keep thick old blankets and other coverings on all the furniture. Because getting on the sofa is an integral par of the pups' social life :) But, if they don't, it's workable!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts