Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
790 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I've just taken home my first Basset :D

I took him to he vet for his check up and she is concerned that he has very droopy eyes and that his eyelashes may start to rub against his eye. I was told if this happens he'll need a face lift. is this normal? Won't he grow into his face?

he's soooo cute and too young for a face lift surely........

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
How old is he, do you have any pictures of him, and I think your vet may not be too basset savvy.

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
Congrats! Pictures please :)

FWIW, Annie had that problem of her eyelashes irritating her eyes when she was tiny. I gave her drops to soothe the irritation until the lashes grew out. I was also told surgery would be necessary....turned out to not be true.

·
Registered
12,960 Posts
Drooy eyes is not a problem it is only wne the eye lip rolls in and rubs the eye that a problem occurs while it does occur in basset and every other breed for that it is not a high incidence of the problem.

Potentially Harmful Eyelid Disorders In Dogs:

Rolled In Eyelids (Entropion):
Either the upper or lower lid may be affected. In this condition the eyelid rolls in so that the lashes and hair on the eyelid rub on the front of the eyeball (the cornea). Persistent entropion causes severe corneal damage. Most entropion is inherited, and although any breed can be affected, it is a well documented problem in Chow Chows, St. Bernards, English Bulldogs, Labrador Retrievers, Golden Retrievers, Irish Setters, and Cocker Spaniels.

·
Registered
790 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks everyone, I've put a couple of photos of the man himself into my albums - I hope I've done it right! Enjoy!!!!

he's only 11 weeks old, just a baby. He just a sleeping, eating, fun machine at the moment.

Can i ask what kind of eye drops you used. His eyes are quite watery but nothing I'm overly concerned with yet.

·
Premium Member
792 Posts
Congratulation!!!! He is so cute.

Bella Florida - I notice you posted a question about the bed under one of the photos - I bought 3 of them for my Flash after her spine surgery and love them. I got them at Pet Smart in XL - I like them because they give her back support and keep her from falling off. I put one in my home office, one in the family room and one in the bedroom. She seems to really like them and it doesn’t seem to bother her not being able to go on the furniture anymore.

Here are a few links to beds
http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=4301696
http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=4405771
http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2892433

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
Can i ask what kind of eye drops you used. His eyes are quite watery but nothing I'm overly concerned with yet.
I'm sorry, I can't remember at all LOL. It was 6 very long years ago :eek: I just remember them saying she would probably need surgery, after the drops and some growing up, her eyes are just fine.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I will fill in all my info in a minute, I just wanted to say Fred (my basset) was at the docs. yesterday his third eye lid was stuck for a few hours. I was told also he would need the face lift surgery because his eyes are SO droopy that the skin has seperated so much, that it needs to be tightned back up. He is only 3yrs old. BUT he is my BEST friend and I dont want him to lose his eye sight or any severe infections to set in. Has anyone's Basset had this surgery?

·
Registered
209 Posts
I will fill in all my info in a minute, I just wanted to say Fred (my basset) was at the docs. yesterday his third eye lid was stuck for a few hours. I was told also he would need the face lift surgery because his eyes are SO droopy that the skin has seperated so much, that it needs to be tightned back up. He is only 3yrs old. BUT he is my BEST friend and I dont want him to lose his eye sight or any severe infections to set in. Has anyone's Basset had this surgery?

Hi Cowboy,

A local South Floridian here! Before jumping to surgary, get a second opinion. From what I have read, several vets do not understand the uniqueness that is a basset.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Oh Esther! You're so beautiful, of course you don't need a facelift!!

Welcome to the forum and congrats on your new addition- completely irresistible!

·
Registered
790 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks everyone!!!!

Good news is Monty has been back to the vet and they now think that his eyelids look better and the eye isn't irritated so no surgery!!!!!!

And to VB3 - strange you say that, we always imagine him to have a very deep voice with a really thick scottish accent - Auch aye!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts