Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
H

·
0 Posts
This is exactly why I've switched to another brand. Thank God the Diamond variety I was feeding my 3 dogs, which was the weight control formula, was not tainted. There were a few weeks though when I didn't know that and was very, very worried.

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
I too switched from Diamond. I've decided to go to Science Diet, Lamb Meal and Rice. It was just so scary and maddening! I'm so very sorry to the people that lost thier best friends over this.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I'm the one who lost my ten month old BH Annabelle to Diamond. Bear in mind it had a good reputation, used by many breeders as an affordable yet premium product. They certainly had a QA problem with the aflatoxin, but I've done a fair amount of research on it and it is common in corn; how they missed it remains to be seen, or perhaps truthfully told. Regardless, I am committed to no more corn based dog food; my breeder agrees with me. Now, there is nothing to say that other ingredients are not subject to contamination of one kind or another. In fact, rice and milk can have aflatoxin in it. Neither my wife nor I could stand to have a repeat of aflatoxin in our family. So for us, it's non corn, non Diamond. Breeder says Nutro a good prospect. One man's experience, and many opinions.

In related issue, Diamond insurance company has bills for vet, invoice for puppy, and says will be in touch with settlement offer. Beyond that I don't need the money but will seek a nominal amount to give to local shelter. Somehow or another I just don't want to put a "price" on the suffering our dog or we went through. Just seems crass to attach dollars to it. Of course I know that's how the world works these days. I just want some empathy and respect for what we went through. Oh yeah, an apology would be nice too.

It's ironic that of all my many dogs, this was the first to be fed anything besides Purina or whatever came in a big bag for a reasonable price at the grocery store! Oh well, big sigh.

In a happier note, we have decided to line up for a puppy that will basically be a half sister to Annabelle; won't be available until May. But, that's about right for the way we feel now. Looking forward to that has been a great diversion from the past experience. This, from two people who swore on the day we lost Annabelle there would be no more dogs, at least until after our 13 year old Maggie departs. Who, thankfully, is in great shape. Well, kinda lumpy, but that seems to be the way all BH's get in their old age!

·
Registered
2,557 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
After passing this article on to Murray's breeder, she got back to me with an update on her dogs: she had 11 who had been shown to have abnormal liver function when they were tested last month, but none were exhibiting overt symptoms. They have been on medication since that point and are doing very well. They were lucky- the food samples they sent to be tested showed very low levels of contamination. So it looks like they'll come through this all right- no deaths, and although the dogs will have to be tested again, at this point they are very optimistic.Like PiedmontBassetlover their expenses will be covered, but they are angry with the way they were not notified and kept abreast of events as they unfolded. All of this was so sad, and so unnecessary.Diamond has alot for which to be held accountable.

·
Registered
5,249 Posts
Oh! You all are cousins! I mean, your pups are cousins! How cool.

And Piedmont, I am very, very glad to hear Diamond will be compensating you.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts