Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings everyone,

I am new to basset ownership. My puppy won't come home until the 27th, BUT i am worried about his eyes. He looks cross-eyed. The breeder doesn't appear worried about it and says they'll straighten as his vision strengthens....but I'm not convinced. None of her previous litters didn't have this issues, her pups are gorgeous. Someone more versed in the breed please tell me I'm overthinking this. He was 3 weeks old in this picture.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,488 Posts
All I can suggest is if you are not totally happy with the puppy you have identified to buy, don't. I'd not accept what this breeder is telling you. And yes, those eyes don't look as I'd want them to look even at that young age. I guess you could wait until nearer the 8 weeks he must be before leaving his breeder however.

·
Super Moderator
5,035 Posts
If you are at all concerned and you don't trust the breeder, don't buy the puppy. Your breeder should be your resource for your puppy if you need help or advice, if you don't feel you can trust them then that doesn't make for a good relationship.

FWIW, the fact that a puppy has been assigned to you at such a young age, when you can't really tell much about them and whether they are suitable for a particular home, would be an issue for me.

Remember, you will hopefully have your dog for 12-13 years or more, don't be in a rush, make sure you get the right one for you.

·
Registered
2,488 Posts
FWIW, the fact that a puppy has been assigned to you at such a young age, when you can't really tell much about them and whether they are suitable for a particular home, would be an issue for me.
Absolutely. Nobody, other than a close neighbour who all mine knew, SAW our puppies at such a young age, if only because of the risk of stressing out mum having strangers come in. In fact I tended to wait until the puppies were around 6 weeks before allowing any body to visit, by which time the ears will have come down and they'd look more like Basset puppies. And waiting longer would give any breeder more chance to learn the temperaments of individual puppies, so they can match them with the expectations of a new owner.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I understand what both of you are saying. The puppy isn't paid for, I just put down a deposit. I'm trying to wait out the eyes correcting themselves, however the 27th is 3 weeks away now and I haven't noticed much of a difference. The puppy also hasn't hit that huge growth spurt yet and that could be a factor too.
From what I notice, it seems to be a breeder's preference when they want to advertise their litters. I've seen some wait til 5 weeks to advertise and I've seen some want deposits when the pups are newborns. People just have their preferences.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts