Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I haven't posted in awhile and I need advice. I live in Wausau, wisconsin and there is a dog auction tomorrow about an hour from here. These are the puppy mill cast aways that are being auctioned. There are 2 basset puppys going for auction. One is 3 months old and the other not even 8 weeks. I want to purchase them and hopfully enroll them in the local Basset rescue but am unsure if they will be accepted. The local shelters are unwilling to touch this topic or these dogs with a ten foot pole. I already have 2 dogs and I have a feeling that this will really send my husband over the edge but how can I possibly not do something? My duncan is a puppy mill rescue. What do I do??? :(

·
Registered
26 Posts
I think you have a good idea of what you WANT to do for them, just like any of us on here we would take them home and find good homes for them. But you always have to remember, Saving a dog is one thing, but being self destructive can hurt others also. I would have a long talk with your husband, and maybe both of you can decide or compromise. You never know, both of you getting together on the subject you might be able to pull out the old address books, and find a home for them. Good Luck

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
What happens if a dog doesn't sell? And of the dogs that do sell, does the money go to the puppy mill owner? I wouldn't do anything that would benefit a puppy mill owner, but then again you worry about what will happen to the cast-offs. I'm torn too. Sorry.

·
Registered
12,947 Posts
And of the dogs that do sell, does the money go to the puppy mill owner? I wouldn't do anything that would benefit a puppy mill owner,[/b]
That is the problem with the concept of rescuing a auction dog or one from a pet store that requires the exchange of money. It only puts money and incentive in the hand of those you wish to stop. You can not buy from a pet store or auction without supporting the whole puppy mill industry.

From a practical stand point not every dog can be saved, if we have to chose those that are first save those that well make good pets over those that won't, save those that don't prepetuate poor breeding practices over those that do. It is cold and hard but that is life.

·
Registered
63 Posts
:(
I know my first instinct would be to get them and take them home, but as has been pointed out there is a bigger picture.
... sorry not much help to you.

I once wrote to a Dog Magazine (Dogs Today) and had a mild rant about puppy farming after finding an advert in the Yellow Pages for a puppy farm (by accident) I was so angry that they were allowed to advertise their 'services' as if it somone was looking for a new car or carpet!.
I rang Basset Rescue, the local council, RSPCA. No-one was able to tell me much except the council did say that as long as the dogs were fed and watered then they were doing nothing illegal.... Frustrating eh! :angry:
so I wrote to Dogs Today magazine explaining why I was writing and would they be interested in highlighted the terrible things that Puppy Farms are as I truly believe that most people buy from puppy farms and pet shops out of ignorance. By either thinking they are saving that one puppy (just gives money to breed more) or they have no idea what Puppy Farms are and think its is the right way to buy a dog.
The magazine did a brilliant article and I like to think I played a small part in educating people, which may be overplaying my role, but I felt slightly better knowing I had done something.
Thankfully (maybe for them) the puppy farm was not local to me

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
This is such an emotional issue. The logical part of me says that I don't want to support puppy mills, but I also cannot knowingly let a dog be killed if I can save it. I know that if the market dried up we would have no puppy mills because the people who run them don't really seem to like dogs.

Do what your conscience tells you to do. There is really no right anwer to this.

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
A local rescuer was aware of this auction and the pups should be safe.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts