Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Still can't get it off my mind. Belly needs a buddy. I found some on a local rescue site. My dilema is male or female? Belly is a 4 year old male. He tends to be "dominant" with certain male dogs, if you know what I mean. Never agressive, just showing them who's in charge I guess.

Please advise on this. I have some things to work out but I still think I should try to get another playmate for Belvedere eventually.

·
Registered
987 Posts
Well keeping in mind that each dogs are unique, you might be more successful with the alpha situation if you get a female. Typically, it works better that way when you don't know the background or personality of the potentially new dog. It might cut your chances of turf agression or dominance issues.
Best of luck, keep us posted!

·
Registered
284 Posts
I can only tell you about my situation...
I got Kit my 1st dog from our local pound 5 years ago. He's a sweet dog but very hard to handle, very nervous and generally not trusting.

Last June I went to the local pound to make a donation and they were about to kill this little basset hound because there was no more room! I didn't know this at the time however I just mentioned that this was the cutest dog. The guy asked me if I wanted her as he was giving her away! I said no since I already had Kit who is also epileptic to make things worse...

Anyways I ended up bringing the basset aka Lea home. It took about a month for the dogs to get used to eachother and for Kit to stop having fits (that's when I put him on meds) but now they are the best of pals and watch out for eachother. Kit is a castrated male btw and Lea is a spayed bitch.

I know each case is different but my story has a happy ending :)

Best of luck!

Lou

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Good for you to consider taking one of our hounds in. Sabian was only 6 months old when I got Pearly. Granted each dog is different but a female might work best. Good Luck. yvonne

·
Registered
905 Posts
Yes, got to agree with the female. There's a good chance she may become the 'boss'. Best of luck with your search.

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Good for you that you're thinking to adopt!

When you have found the one you like, I would advise you to bring Belly with you to the shelter. Let them interact with each other and see how it goes.

Then if everything works well....before you bring the new dog in the house for the first time, take both of them for a walk around the neighborhood or around a park or something. Then take them home.

This should help establish their relationship and minimize any jealousy/dominance thing (or whatever it is).

Good luck! I hope you find your new baby soon.

·
Registered
983 Posts
I too commend you for wanting to get a rescue basset. When we decided to get Gretchen from BHRA I found that they don't just hand over the dog. Someone comes over to talk with you and checks out your home and yard. Also, Gretchens foster mom called to talk with me. Also, within a year you may also get another home visit to see how things are going. Sometimes depending on their background it may take a while for the basset to warm up to you. Gretchens not the same dog she was when we first met. She lots more affectionate and roudy now. Gretchen is the princess of our home. I agree with Lina, it is a good idea to have the 2 dogs meet. I think that is why we were asked to bring along Roscoe when we picked up Gretchen. Let us know what you happens. :D

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you all for your advice. I am thinking a female might be best, for all of the reasons mentioned. He is quite the prince of the manor around here and male might upset the balance.

I hope to be able to start looking soon. Actually, I've already started but I am sure the ones I've seen will be in new homes quickly. There is a local organization that posts photos and bios of dogs in foster care. It's hard not to want all of them!

Thanks again!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Alfie (2 1/2) was a VERY dominant male and tried to be dominant with ppl then we got Barney (6 mnths old) who is much calmer by nature and some of this has rubbed off on Alfie!! I think we were lucky I was dreading that they both wanted to dominate but so far so good 1 month down the line.

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
We were in the same situation about 2 months ago. We had Lucy for about a month and kept thinking that she would be better off if she had a companion. We mulled over this because we had never had 2 dogs at the same time before and we spoil the heck out of our dogs ( as I'm sure everyone in here does !!). We just wanted to make sure that we could handle it. We went to the animal shelter and found Ethel. She was a basset/lab mix. We did bring here home and have never regretted it for one minute. I am a true believer that dogs should be kept in pairs now. They are inseperable and give each other "doggie" companionship. After all, I can't chase my dogs around the yard and eat the solar lights and wood pile like they do. Some things the doggies just have to do together. I have 2 females so I can't speak for your situation, but I don't think I will ever have just 1 dog again.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts