Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My son and daughter-in-law recently (a couple of weeks ago) bought a boxer puppy. Both parents were on site but I'm not sure if this was a "breeder" or a BYB (the latter I think). I asked if he got a health certificate (can't think of any other name for it right now) and he said, "No - but they've had them to the vet and have their first shots and wormed." Well, I now find out that this poor pup has a very enlarged right side of his heart and will require surgery but they don't know if it's "fixable". He will be taking him to Pullman, Washington (Washington State University) next week. I have told my son to contact the breeder at once and either return the pup (that's what I would do) and get his money back or at least, if he should keep the pup, get his money refunded! It's difficult cuz' my 4 year old grandson LOVES this dog (who he calls "Hurley - wantasaurus"). I'm not only angry with the damned breeder, I'm also angry with my son who didn't do his homework!! Boy, I need to take a time-out or I'll blow my top! :mad: :mad:

[ March 28, 2006, 08:02 PM: Message edited by: Lynne & Huck ]

·
Registered
5,249 Posts
I'm so sorry for you guys and the poor pup. :(

I get very upset by this kind of stuff. People think breeding dogs is just a piece of cake and hey, they'll make some money and besides, their pups are sooo cute!!!

But so many people get so hurt because so many of these pups have serious physical problems or have gotten no health care whatsoever and have developed serious diseases, as a result.

It's just much too heartbreaking. :(

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
This is such a sad situation. Pawsies crossed that Pullman can do something. It's especially sad that your grandson is so attatched. He is too young to go through unnecessary pain.

Go ahead and blow your top - you deserve it.

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
Don't let him give that poor little pup back to those people! :mad:
It's not the puppy's fault. The breeder should be forced to pay the vet bills. Now I'm spittin mad too!!!

Sandy

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I can't even imagine what the vet bills would be on heart surgery, for heavens sake! I'm just sick about this as they just bought their first house after scrimping and saving for a long time. Not to say I don't feel bad for the puppy-of course I do but right now I just want to throttle someone! Okay now....breathe deep....breathe in -breathe out - breathe in - breathe out.

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
I'm with you on returning the puppy. I know it seems cold but the breeder should have to handle the heart break. This may not have been a preventable condition ( I don't know) but it could get even harder on your grandson. They could try explaining Hurley is just too sick to live with them and has to go back to be with his mommy and daddy. Let us know what happens.

·
Registered
4,902 Posts
Check to see if there are puppy lemon laws in your state. In some states, the seller has to refund up to the selling price of the puppy for certain conditions, based on the buyer's veterinary expenses. In this case however, the price of surgery and additional medical care would surely exceed the selling price of the puppy. :(

[ March 29, 2006, 10:37 AM: Message edited by: Betsy Iole ]

H

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
How awful. The best thing for your son to do at this point would be to return the pup. If it turns out to be unfixable, it will only be that much harder on your grandson. In the meantime, he can purchase another puppy from another breeder and your grandson will get equally attached - only now it will be a healthy pup. As for the pup, my heart is crying for him. You just know they'll try to sell him to someone else. So very sad all around. :(

1 - 8 of 8 Posts