Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So today my trainer noticed that one side of tobys ribcage extends further than the other side and it felt like it curved under into his stomach. That sounds really serious so I'm making a vet appt in the morning but if there is something seriously wrong idk what to do that sounds like such an expensive problem and he has pet insurance but it doesn't cover pre existing conditions. I don't know how I never noticed before. I'm so worried..:(

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
that's good. i'm still gonna get him checked out just to make sure it's ok and his ribs aren't pushing into his organs or something which could be serious. i never planned on showing him since i don't know the first thing about that, my only concern is his health!

·
Super Moderator
5,042 Posts
I agree with Mikey. Probably flanged ribs. Conformation fault, but not a problem for a pet dog.

·
Registered
562 Posts
Every once in awhile it seems like Rosco isn't exactly symmetrical, usually when he is laying down in a weird position. I wouldn't sweat it - none of us are perfectly symmetrical anyway and if Toby had something that hurt him or slowed him down you would have seen it by now.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
yeah. if it was just a tiny bit i wouldn't even care but it's like, a HUGE difference. and it seems like no matter how much i feed him his ribs always show and it makes him look underfed like i don't feed my dog. i made an appointment with the vet for tomorrow morning so he can at least get checked out because i'd rather catch something early on than too late. he needs a checkup anyways and his pet insurance would at least cover a wellness exam.

·
Registered
191 Posts
I would not consider that a "pre-existing condition". He has not been diagnosed yet, so your insurance should cover that. It would be considered pre-existing if your vet diagnosed him with a disease previously and then you bought pet insurance to treat that disease without disclosing the disease on your initial application for insurance. I am wishing you well but I am sure the baby is fine! :)

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yay we just got home from the vet. He's perfectly healthy! Although I must say he was being quite the flirt with all the vet techs and even the vet. He was showing them all that he knew how to shake hands. I'm so relieved he's fine though!

·
Registered
12,943 Posts
would not consider that a "pre-existing condition
Pre-existing condition for many pet insurers need not be pre-diagnosed conditions but also included genetic and congential deffects as well. One needs to read the policy to be sure.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Pre-existing condition for many pet insurers need not be pre-diagnosed conditions but also included genetic and congential deffects as well. One needs to read the policy to be sure.
a pre-existing condition in his policy is defined as one either diagnosed before he was insured or something he was born with whether undetected before the insurance took effect or not. so any problems with his ribs, unless it was broken or something would have been pre existing. but thankfully i dont have to worry about that!!:D

1 - 11 of 11 Posts