Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone I'm new at this and I'm still trying to get the hang of it. I have a 5 month old tri color basset named Toby and I'll try to get some pics of him up soon. We are going to obedience classes tomorrow and I'm really excited! He gets so much attention at the dog park because of his floppy ears. Anyways, does anyone know of any cool events or activities or anything like that I could do with him? I live in the Houston area. He is my first hound so I'm still trying to figure things out but he's the sweetest boy in the world!

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
Welcome to the forum. This is a great place to learn about Bassets, and you'll meet a lot of wonderful Cyber friends who love the breed.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Congratulations!

Congrats to you for choosing a basset hound as your pet. You will be blessed every day, every month, every year you spend together. I am rather new to the forum too. I found it b/c I'm looking for another hound since I'm basset-less at the moment. In my search on this and other sites, I have found that there are many great activities for basset hounds and their owners. Check out these sites:
Basset Hound Club of America
Welcome to Bassetnet.com | AHBA | American Hunting Basset Association
Welcome to Basset Hound Rescue
The rescue group in your area probably holds several fund raisers/activities throughout the year. Participating in the events/activities sponsored by a rescue group not only supports basset rescue efforts but provides great net-working, and good old fashioned fellowship with other basset owners. Welcome, Good Luck, Best Wishes with your new basset friend!

·
Registered
103 Posts
Hello to you and Toby, and welcome! You will enjoy it here... lots of useful tips and info!
Enjoy him!

·
Registered
2,558 Posts
Welcome! Are you going to a puppy obedience class with him? If so, you can work towards his Canine Good Citizen, and that would qualify him for training and registration as a therapy dog.

Murray and I have been a handler/dog therapy team for about 5 years. We've visited nursing homes, done educational programs for children about dog care, helped with a school reading program, and done home visits with autistic children. We recently participated in a presentation at our regional medical center to educate future physicians about the benefits of pet therapy in patient care. There are lots of other things you can do once you're registered; pet therapy organizations have community requests for all kinds of interesting things.

The basset's calm, sweet disposition makes them ideal for this kind of work, and working with Murray like this has made our bond stronger than it would have been otherwise.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks y'all! We are starting his obedience class tonight I'm really excited. I think I'd like to look into getting his CGC and seeing where that can take us. Although right now he's still a little rambunctious!

·
Registered
12,947 Posts
Although right now he's still a little rambunctious!
He's only five give it a couple months and you will be removing the little modifier from rambunctious,

When it comes to obedience classes I general recommend "manners classes" rather than those focues on obedience competition, Most owners are not interest in the minutia that is important to proper obedience competion foundation. i.e straight sit vs flank sit etc.

Good luck in class never met a basset that could not use a bit more self control that such course work on as well.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts