Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Tomorrow I am going to try fostering an 8 yr old male who's owner got ill and gave him up. For the moment it will be an emergency foster, until they find someone else, until i know how it works out with simon I know if they get along i will want to keep him i really can't afford to so see what tomorrow brings

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Good luck with your fostering experience. I know We could never do that because we would want to keep them all. It takes special people to foster, and your new foster hound will be one lucky guy to share your home.

·
Registered
2,558 Posts
It's heartbreaking for someone who loves his dog to be forced because of illness or age to relinquish a beloved companion- I know the owner will have peace of mind in knowing that his dog will be placed in a loving home.You are an angel to help with this- best of luck!

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Way to go, EC. Hopefully Simon will be ok with it. Please keep us updated.

Janet 'n Twinkie

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Good luck. I wish so badly that we could foster but I know that we would keep them all, so I just cannot...
Again, good luck! I hope it is a wonderful experience for you and the dogs.

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Watch out, Emily! You could be like me, and want to keep 'em all!

Congrats to you--fostering is a wonderful and rewarding experience! (And yes, I'm still alive up here in SnowTown...!)

·
Registered
70 Posts
My family has been fostering for a couple of years. You love them while they are there and then when they are going you tell yourself they are going to a good permanent home and if you were to adopt them you couldn't foster any more. That makes it ok. My family has only had a couple of problems letting go (with the exception of my 10 year old sister who wants to keep them all).

We had one pair Biscuit and Triscuit. Triscuit was adopted within a couple of weeks, but we had Biscuit for months, she was hard to let go. It hurts because The woman who adopted her put her on a run which she escaped and came back, and the next day the woman put her on the same run, and she didn't come back. There was a lot of construction in the area where she lived so we think a worker found her took her in and fell in love with her.

The other pair was Paris and Tyler (See "The Herd" post for pics). It was harder on me than anyone else in my family. We had them a total of 3 times, and for a while each time. I love them almost as much as I do my own dogs, they were hard for me to let go.

Those are the only problems letting go we've had and I've lost count of how many dogs we've had, I think it is something between 30 and 50. If you can get through those first few dogs, it becomes easier. You love each one, but you learn that they will be well taken care of.

·
Registered
905 Posts
Awwww Emily, what a lovely thing to do. Really hope it works out for you and also helps Simon.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts