Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Spike, has started having tears....actually it has been going on a while. But I am curious if this is common in Basset's?

We also have Molly, and she has never had any problems. Though the two of them are really different. Spike is the big, sad eyes, big paws Basset, while Molly is smaller and much more feminine.

I do appreciate everyones opinions. Thanks!

·
Registered
5,249 Posts
Yogi will get a bit teary when he has allergies. He'll also have a bit of a cough, as well --- one of those little coughs, not a big hack or anything.

I've wondered before if a bad tooth can cause teary eyes - ?

If it's gone on for a while, it might be worth your time to get it checked out. It might be something as simple as allergies or it could be something else.

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
Cooter has the crying thing too. He does have the droopy eyes though, so I guess that is what causes it.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It doesn't seem to have any effect on him. And it is only one eye. Its funny, we notice it mostly after he is scolded....he seems to cry when he is yelled at. Next trip to the vet though, I will mention this. Thanks. Does have us a little worried that later on he may develop problems with this one eye.

A

·
0 Posts
I would check it out to rule out glaucoma. It only takes a second with a Tonopen and it could save your dog's eyesight if that's the case. Bassets are prone to this.

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
I would have it tested for glaucoma, also, and I'd do it ASAP. If it is glaucoma, time is really, really important in saving your doggie's sight.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts