Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello - I have posted twice this week regarding a potential adoption planned for tomorrow of a Basset Mix in NJ - I have been in touch with the foster Mom who is a wonderful woman who just adores this pup - she has had her with her family for at least one month while she had surgery to remove bladder stones - I am feeling less like I am rescuing and more like I'm abducting the poor dog from her home. Any advice would be helpful as this is our first 'rescue'.
Cynthia

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
I would just ask her if she wants to keep the dog. If not then adopt away. I have done a few fosters over the years and yes it can sometimes be hard to let them go and then there are times when you are very happy to see them get a good home.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Simone's foster dad loved her so much he wanted to adopt her. Foster mom said ok but they would not be able foster again. He relented and they to continue to foster. We send pictures & updates to let them know Simone is doing well, living the life of a spoiled Bassett princess. I like to think we repay them by loving Simone.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes - Her Foster Mom insists she's enthusiastic about our adopting her and finding her a permanent home - She doesn't want to adopt her...
Did Simone seem depressed (Duh I know I'm humanizing her) when she got to your home? How long did it take for her to allow her new family to love her? This pup is 3-5 years old: How old was Simone when she came to you? Any additional 'support' about this is appreciated!

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
I'm not Simone but I have had Maddie back not even a year (we fostered her 9 years ago) she has gotten very attached to us and very protective. I think it will just depend on the dog, I don't think Maddie had allot of attention so that may make it easier.

I always seemed to see a difference in them about 4 or 5 days to settle in. I really think she will bond very well if you just give her love and exercise. And you sound like you already have that.

·
Super Moderator
5,042 Posts
Sometimes I've hated to see a foster go too, but I knew they were going to a good home and I can't keep them all. If they're willing to give him up then definitely take him.

Sometimes it takes a little while for them to settle in, especially if they've moved around a lot. I remember when I adopted Doc, for the first few months he was like "well, you've been very nice but I'd like to go home now". But after that he settled in and was very devoted to me.

·
Registered
790 Posts
I'm sure you'll have great success with the adoption and you'll be letting another needy hound get fostered into a good home.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Lucy's Foster Mother was very attached to her as well! I send her Christmas cards and random "emails from Lucy." She loves it. Lucy settled in very quickly at my house, so I don't have any advice in that respects. :)

·
Registered
18 Posts
I'm sure you'll have great success with the adoption and you'll be letting another needy hound get fostered into a good home.
I agree 100%,By you adopting you are saving a life now that foster mom/dad can get another baby to save until that one is adopted...SO ON!!.Thank you for adopting.

·
Registered
973 Posts
Every foster parent gets attached to their foster dogs. They are all animal lovers or they wouldn't be foster parents, and it comes with the territory. When we adopted Lila, the foster mom came to our house to evaluate us and give her over. When she left she was literally weeping. Just be sure to stay in touch with them, send lots of pictures, and let them know how happy their foster dog is.

Goodbye is never easy, even when you know they're going to a new home.

·
Registered
973 Posts
Yes - Her Foster Mom insists she's enthusiastic about our adopting her and finding her a permanent home - She doesn't want to adopt her...
Did Simone seem depressed (Duh I know I'm humanizing her) when she got to your home? How long did it take for her to allow her new family to love her? This pup is 3-5 years old: How old was Simone when she came to you? Any additional 'support' about this is appreciated!
Anabelle warmed up to us immediately. As soon as she came into the house she rolled on her back and wagged her tail for a belly rub. Lila did not come near us for two days. She just sat by the front door. A week or so later it was the opposite and still is. She is a velcro dog.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks everyone! You gave me what I needed to stay confident during the 'abduction' LOL...Actually, No Name Dog is doing well and seems to be adjusting after only 30 hours...I hope I can be of help to others on this forum...Cynthia

·
Registered
28 Posts
I can't really give you any advice either or anyone else in this situation. WE adopted crocket from our local SPCA shelter. And he rescued us, I tell everyone. As you could see from the pictures of him at the shelter below. He was all lovey and trying to get us to pick him...lol. And when we went to look at another kennel he would bark, growl, jump up and down until we came back. a few other people would visit him and he didn't seem to care when they left his cage. WE brought him home the next day and he fit right in to our family!!. :). But I agree defiantly I would ask if they want the baby, if they don't then I would adopt defiantly. I also agree with keeping in touch. Become friends with them on Face Book, so at least they can see what is going on with your baby...There foster baby!!. :)

Attachments

1 - 13 of 13 Posts