Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi!
This is my first time posting on this forum and I'm sure it won't be my last.
I've wanted a Bassett Hound for a long time now and one of the girls at work told me of a neighbour of hers who was hoping to find a good home for theirs as circumstances had changed and they weren't able to give him the attention he needed.

I'm picking him up tomorrow and really looking forward to it. I've met him briefly and is a big lump so it will give me a good excuse to go walking. He is 3/4 years old but isn't a thuroughbred - I would say 70% Bassett, not sure what the other mix is.

Is there anything I need to be aware of from the beginning? How often should I feed him and is there anything that generally doesn't agree with them?

Thanks, I'm sure this will be the first of many question sessions from me!

Happy New Year from Ireland.

C

A

·
0 Posts
YEA! We love pictures. I am sure there are lots of things to know. My first would be to love him dearly with lots of hugs!!!. Probably second is they are like very tall 2 year-olds and "counter surf". Please basset proof your place. Good Luck and Congratulations. This site has helped me tremendously with lots of knowlege! yvonne

T

·
0 Posts
Congratulations. The one thing people seem to find basset are most likely to be allergic to is corn. I try to buy food with no corn in it. However, if you can find out what food he's already used to, if he's not having any problems with it, I would keep feeding it.

Happy New Year to you and George, too!

Janet 'n Twinkie.

A

·
0 Posts
One word: Patience. Bassets follow their noses and once they get an idea into their pointy little heads very, very little will persuade them that you might have a better idea. They were bred for tenacity in hunting and that can translate into some real single-mindedness in any and all pursuits.
Have fun. They are wonderful dogs with the right owners.

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Despite all the madness, stubbornness, mischievous, and all the yelling.....Basset hound is still the best dog I've ever have!
I wouldn't trade my hounds for anything.

Remember too, they are a big dog with short legs!
Anyway...you will know soon what we mean.

·
Registered
905 Posts
Hi george's mum 2B, I think the 1st thing you need to be aware of is that Bassets roam.Do not let him out in the garden unless it is escape proof and remember that when they stand on their back legs they can easily get over a small fence. I would not let him off the lead on walks in the park unless he has been taught to come when called(I always reward mine with a treat) I feed mine twice daily and do not exercise him for at least 1hour after food.

I find Toby very treat orientated and if I want him to do something I reward him with a treat.Cheese seems to work very well.

Got to say that I found him quite difficult to train and perseverence and treats are the answer.

Even though he's 3/4 I think the best thing you can do is take him to training classes.

I never let him climb stairs and try not to let him jump on and off furniture or out of the car etc, as they can damage their backs too easily.

In spite of all that, I've got to agree with everyone else. These Bassets are unique and Toby brings tons of laughter into this house.They really are the 'clowns of the dog world'

·
Registered
343 Posts
Congratulations!

I got MY George at about that age (he was 8-1/2 months old). Reading old posts on this board helped me immensely.

You're getting George at what's likely to be a challenging age - adolescence. But with obedience classes, patience, humor, treats and the knowledgable people on this board -- you'll do great!

·
Registered
246 Posts
Welcome. Change all of your passwords. When your not home, they will get on the Internet and order all kinds of things. They are very sneaky!!

[ January 07, 2006, 05:26 AM: Message edited by: SPEEDY ]

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hi
Thank you all so much for you advice. I was aware of the big dog on small legs after I met him the first time, he was soooo strong and nearly knocked me over!! He is really heavy as he hasn't been exercised at all - the only walks he has had are when he ran away! So first plan is to get him walking as much as possible.
I'll keep you posted on our progress.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts