Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, buddy is leaving monday nite Simon really won't let up on him, and I don't want to leave them alone all day tuesday in 1 small space (the only dog proof spot I have) Simon is too crazy and buddy is too docile I think eventually they might be ok but I don't have the means to get them to that point I feel badly about it Simon has also been very crazy and he was just starting to settle down I know both of their behaviors are normal, but it just won't work

·
Registered
5,249 Posts
That's not being a failure --- that's being wise enough to acknowledge there's a problem that you don't have the means to solve.

Buddy will find a good home. Bear in mind that sometimes dogs just don't like each other. And sometimes circumstances just aren't right for a particular dog.

My shepherd girl Lady is an example. Biscuit hated hated hated her when I adopted her from her previous owners --- but I was fortunate that I wasn't working at the time so I was able to stay here and navigate the problems, meaning things didn't boil over.

But Yogi loves Lady. In fact, Yogi loves Lady more than (ack, this feels like a sacrilege) he ever loved Biscuit --- probably because Biscuit was a very dominant dog, while Lady is submissive like Yogi. So temperamentally, they're very well matched.

Different dogs - same environment.

Biscuit's hatred for Lady was such that I even tried to find her another home, and had I been working at the time, I would have made sure she got into another home.

So long way around to say, it's wiser to acknowledge the problem and allow Buddy to go back into rescue so he can find the right home. :)

·
Registered
2,557 Posts
Biscuit is right. Your heart was in the right place to give it a try, and your head is in the right place to recognize the reality of the situation. You deserve alot of credit for both!

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hey, Emily, you gave it your best shot. That's all anyone can do. And like Biscuit said, you are wise enough to realize it isn't working. I wonder if Simon realizes how lucky he is to have such a smart and loving mom!

·
Registered
76 Posts
It can't be helped, Emily. You didn't do anything wrong. You have to think of the welfare of both hounds since they would be alone together.

You're doing the right thing.

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
There are lots of ways to help our hounds and not foster. I know I couldn't foster either. I joined a rescue and donate what I can to help bassets in need. Good for you for trying! yvonne

1 - 7 of 7 Posts