Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
12,943 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The answer is obvious but not what most people think of. and that is teaching the dog to touch your hand with it nose. ie hand targeting.

just by teaching hand targeting you have a recall, you can move the dog in a non confrontational way anywhere you want. You can walk without a leash. and because there is never just one cue you can teach it beconmes the basis for teach many other obedience behaviors and cue, Just think your hand become a lure without hving to have food in it how cool is that. Think how handy that is in training other behaviors.

Click this bar to view the full image.

hand targeting with mariah warming up exercise before and agility run

it is very easy to teach. Hold out had in fron of dogs nose an inch or two at most dog will reach out to smell when it touches your hand with nose click treat resist urge to move your hand toward dog. This goes quick. Feed with hand that is not target If dog start being attrated to the had with food even better as now you are disctraction training as well. Switch hand a repeat starting from the begining. as you prgress move hand farther from the dog change the postion in relationship to dog little higher little lower left right, When the behavior is strong you can use the target to move the dog it follows your hand,

You can morph the hand target to antoher opject like a plastic lid. Start off with putting the lid in you hand dog touches lid click etc slowly work closer to the ground floor until the back hand is on the ground then place lid by it self on the ground. Once that behavior is strong delay clicking for a single touch and require two multiple touches work on decreasing latency see links above. The lid becaome a target you can use to train distance work having the dog go out. Teaching the dog to go to a mat but the target on the mat send dog to target etc. it a potent tool to have.

Target Training Get your dog in the position YOU want!

Dog Obedience Training through Targeting
This seemingly frivolous behavior has numerous practical applications

Even today, despite its usefulness, targeting is not a widely known behavior outside positive professional training and competition circles. When I introduce the concept in my basic good manners classes I get a sea of blank stares in response, as if each human client is thinking, “Why on earth would I want to teach my dog to do that?”
Targeting means teaching your dog to touch a designated body part to a designated location. Nose targeting is most commonly taught, but it can also be trained with a front or hind paw, a hip or shoulder, even an ear or tail! The designated target can also be anything imaginable, including the palm of your hand or your closed fist, a finger, target stick, spot on the wall or door, or just about any object you choose to ask your dog to target to.

...It’s ridiculously easy to teach. We start in our classes by having the dog target to his owner’s hand, since that doesn’t require yet another piece of equipment to juggle along with clicker, treats, and leash.
Even today, despite its usefulness, targeting is not a widely known behavior outside positive professional training and competition circles. When I introduce the concept in my basic good manners classes I get a sea of blank stares in response, as if each human client is thinking, “Why on earth would I want to teach my dog to do that?”
Targeting means teaching your dog to touch a designated body part to a designated location. Nose targeting is most commonly taught, but it can also be trained with a front or hind paw, a hip or shoulder, even an ear or tail! The designated target can also be anything imaginable, including the palm of your hand or your closed fist, a finger, target stick, spot on the wall or door, or just about any object you choose to ask your dog to target to.

...It’s ridiculously easy to teach. We start in our classes by having the dog target to his owner’s hand, since that doesn’t require yet another piece of equipment to juggle along with clicker, treats, and leash.
Teach Hand Targeting to Dogs
included video

shaping a noes touch to a plate

·
Registered
562 Posts
I have some alternatives:

"Go and do the dishes"
"Please quit barking at that leaf"
"Stop chasing the cat it doesn't want to play with you"
"Get your bony little elbows out from between my ribs"
"If you try and eat my pizza I will make you wear your sailor outfit on our next walk and the other dogs will laugh at you"
"It is water, not acid. You would try and roll in it if it weren't coming out of a hose"
"For God's sake that bone is no different than the one the other dogs have quit whining"

etc.

·
Registered
761 Posts
I have some alternatives:

"Go and do the dishes"
"If you try and eat my pizza I will make you wear your sailor outfit on our next walk and the other dogs will laugh at you"
"It is water, not acid. You would try and roll in it if it weren't coming out of a hose"
"For God's sake that bone is no different than the one the other dogs have quit whining"

etc.
This had my husband and I cracking up! Love it. And it's very true.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Thanks for the videos Mikey. I've never seen clicker training done before. It looks really easy. But it's probably a lot harder than it looks.

·
Registered
12,943 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
"Go and do the dishes"
let us at em well clean um better than any dish washer

I will when it starts moving again

if the cat did not want to play it would not run.

the elbows in the ribs stop when than those nuggies you keep refering to as pets stop

" I will make you wear your sailor outfit on our next walk and the other dogs will laugh at you"
Which is why behind your back all the neighbors refer to you as the "crazy dog lady"

that like calling a tsumai a day at the beach

For God's sake that bone is no different than the one the other dogs have quit whining
if it were just as good the other dogs would want this one but they don't it is inferior i tell ya inferior I always get the worse one. beside why are they getting bones they don't deserve them all the bone should be mine!

·
Registered
12,943 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I've never seen clicker training done before. It looks really easy. But it's probably a lot harder than it looks.
If you ask 100 people you will get 100 different answer on what "clicker training" ois so for this purpose I an limiting the definition of clicker training as using a clicker or audible sound as a reward marker that is telling the dog that a reward is coming, If it were hard it would not has grown as rapidly as it has. The key is timing which is not as easy as one might guess but the same times dogs are smart an can tollerate us being off in the timing. off course the more percise your time the more percise and the faster the training goes. BUt it is one of those thing that people with really good timing make look easier than it is for the rest of us.

Timing Your Click Correctly

1 - 10 of 10 Posts