Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
799 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I could walk around the yard barefoot in safety.

My house could be carpeted instead of tiled and laminated.

All flat surfaces, clothing, furniture, and cars would be free of hair.

When the doorbell rings, it wouldn’t sound like a kennel.

When the doorbell rings, I could get to the door without wading through fuzzy bodies who beat me there.

I could sit on the couch and my bed the way I wanted, without taking consideration how much space several fur bodies would need to get comfortable.

I would not have strange presents under my Christmas tree –dog bones, stuffed animals, toys, treats nor would I have to explain to people why I wrap them.

I would have money ….and no guilt to go on a real vacation.

I would not be on a first-name basis with 6 veterinarians, as I put their yet unborn grandkids thru college.

The most used words in my vocabulary would not be: out, sit, down, come, no, stay, and leave him/her/it ALONE.

My house would not be cordoned off into zones with baby gates or barriers.

My house would not look like a day care center, toys everywhere.

My pockets would not contain things like poop bags, treats and an extra leash.

I would no longer have to Spell the words B-A-L-L-, W-A-L-K, or T-R-E-A-T.

I would not have as many leaves INSIDE my house as outside.

I would not look strangely at people who think having ONE dog ties them down too much.

I’d look forward to spring and the melting of snow instead of dreading mud season.

I would not have to answer the question “Why do you have so many dogs?” from people who will never have the joy in their lives of knowing they are loved unconditionally by someone as close to an angel as they will ever get

·
Registered
3,525 Posts
I would not have more pictures of my dogs than I do of my children.

I wouldn't be getting more Christmas cards from Basset people than I get from friends and family (waaaayyyyyyyyyy more!)

My husband wouldn't have to wait till I feed the dogs before he gets HIS dinner.

I might have friends who discuss something other than dogs, and thier dog's habits and antics.

I would be able to eat without every movement of my fork or spoon being followed by two pairs of eyes.

The neighbors wouldn't have ever seen my undies. <_<

On the down side: If I didn't own houndies (And just who owns who? And who do we think we are fooling when we claim to own them?) my life would be boring and lonely and empty.

Who would greet me when I return from that long walk (one minute? maybe two?) to the mailbox each afternoon?

What would be my excuse for leaving those boring family gatherings (when I say "I'm sorry, but we've got to go... we need to let the dogs out") :lol:

Who would make me smile when I'm feeling down? :)

Who would keep my lap warm when I finally sit down in the evening? B)

Who would need me... REALLY NEED me? :unsure:

Who would kiss me when I'm sitting on the... um, throne? :rolleyes:

I definately DO NOT want to imagine my life wothout Moe and Tally!!!

·
Registered
773 Posts
These are all so true, and people who don't get it -- don't get it! I'm getting strange looks now because DH and I are talking about selling our house. He had a stroke last August, and while he's recovered pretty well, brain damage is brain damage. He just can't do everything he used to, so it's time to down-size. Except when it comes to the dogs. We'll still need a big, fenced yard. And I don't want neighbors too close, who would complain when Eloise and Edith start arooo-ing at the ghost in the yard. I've actually had people tell me it's time to 'let go' of the dogs, but that'll never happen.......

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
...my friends wouldn't ask me, "so how are the hounds?" (instead, of "so how are the kids/grandkids or husband?")

Sandy :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
A couple more:
We wouldn't have to plan the vacation and camping trips around "Do they allow dogs?"

We wouldn't be discussing the fact that the manufacturer says "This vacuum picks up
dog hair better than the XXXX brand, when we are shopping for a new one."

We wouldn't be a the car dealership saying" Do you think Bogie will be able to ride OK in
the back seat, and will he be able to get in without the ramp"?

We wouldn't spend hours on the internet looking for answers to "Why do dogs eat rocks?"

We wouldn't be on our hands and knees scouring the yard for rocks so Bogie can't dine
on them anymore.

We wouldn't be explaining to everyone that he's not a mean dog, he wears a muzzle so
he can't eat rocks.

We wouldn't be sleeping on the den floor with a sick Basset, because all the bedrooms are
up the stairs he can't climb anymore, and he's to heavy to carry.

My neighbors wouldn't be a the fence laughing at Bogie's antics as he sails around the
yard with something he shouldn't have, like my gardening gloves.

We wouldn't be investing in the company that makes the sticky rollers that remove pet hair.

We wouldn't be able to see the cozy bird nests lined with Bogies hair.

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
Those are great! How about:

A crate wouldn't be part of my den furniture.

I wouldn't have leather furniture that I bought just for the dogs.

I wouldn't be involved in Basset Hound Rescue, and have met all sorts of great people.

All my bookmarks on my computer wouldn't be somehow involved with dogs.

I wouldn't want to go to Michigan on vacation, just so I could go to the original waddle.

What have we forgotten?

·
Registered
118 Posts
My hard drive at work wouldn't be packed with dog pictures.

I wouldn't walk through my house seeing mouse-size hair piles in the corners/under tables. (This becomes really noticeable about 5 days after sweeping... guess my once a week cleaning really isn't cutting it!)

I wouldn't have to concentrate on José when we have someone over - to keep him from jumping, humping :blink: , or shaking slobber on our guests.

I wouldn't get the exercise of getting up to let him out, then get up to let him in, & in this weather - wipe ears, paws, belly & back. Repeat every 15 minutes.

·
Registered
535 Posts
I agree with all that have been mentioned, here's a few more to add to the list.

We wouldn't have had to buy a king size bed just so we have room to sleep and then still be pushed to the edge by the hounds.

I wouldn't have to visit the pet section in every store we go to and then spend a fortune on treats, chew sticks and toys.

My co-workers, family & friends wouldn't think I've gone insane because everywhere you look I have something to do with Basset's in both my home and office.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts